1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

noise from small crack

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by odin70, Jul 20, 2012.

1. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I have small (not visible) crack somewhere at the top of my bass. When i hit certain notes it buzzes and its really annoying. I cant take it to my repairman now so i would like to fix it myself. What type of glue should i use?

2. This sounds strange, are you sure that it is the crack that causes the buzz? If it is a small crack then it is more likely to have to do with dead spots, or so I'd suppose.

Martin

3. Sorry, disregard my post. I didn't realize this was in the DB forums. Good luck with your problem.

Martin

4. You should use hot hide glue. If no crack is visible you may have a seam separation, which is usually much easier to repair properly than a top crack.

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    thank you. Can i just put some of that glue on the right spot?

6. The trick is to get it into the crack and cleat it from behind to prevent it from spreading any further or opening-up again with seasonal changes etc. Much of the time, this could be done without removing the top but there are instances where this is not possible. If you have a higher-end bass, you may be better-off with a professional to do the work.

7. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    play the notes that creat the biggest buzz and have someone else move their hand around on the top until you find it then move up and down to find out how far it goes

to get a cleat behind it without removing the top you'll need clamps with long enough throats to reach

small cracks can be done with a tiny hole, a string, mirror, tongs and a lot of patience

hide glue BTW