noisy potentiometer, what spray cleaner works best?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tomana, May 8, 2012.

1. tomana

tomana

Apr 12, 2012
    I have a noisy potentiometer, what spray cleaner works best?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    Caig DeOxit.

3. tomana

tomana

Apr 12, 2012
    This one ?
    DeoxIT FaderLube F5 Spray

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Caig site recommends D100 to clean pots. F5 is for sliding faders and contains a lube for smooth operation. D100 is 100% Deoxit solution with no carriers, lubes or solvents that may adversely affect carbon traces in a pot. D5 is 5% solution with solvents (hard on carbon tracks) and lubes added. The lube may attract dirt, you want zero lube on a carbon track that's why wd40 is the worst thing you can use; it initially cleans fine but quickly attracts dust, etc.

wesonbass likes this.
  5. tomana

tomana

Apr 12, 2012
    wound up getting a can of ECG Industrial contact cleaner with lube. It's a huge can so if the lube attracts dust, etc I can spray the pot about 500 times before the can runs out. Though it has lube, it is in a somewhat sealed compartment (nestled in wood with a plastic cover).

I blew out all debris so it will be hard for dust to get to the pot and I think the lube will help, not hurt. Would use no lube cleaner though, for amp pots, etc.

Thanks for all the input :)

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This was going to be my advise. I my experience you DO want lube. The reason is that non-lube cleaners simply don't last as long before "static" returns. The lube keeps the pot going longer. And as you say IF it gets dirt in there (not likely as it's pretty much enclosed in the bass cavity) you simply poof it again. Blowing out all debris (which even on expensive basses is often left in the electronics cavity) is a good idea.

Lets face it. The REAL cure for a noisy pot is a NEW pot! control cleaners are really just life extenders so you can't expect phenomenal results, but for me they still seem to usually bring noisy pots back to life for a while.

7. Russell Reed

Russell Reed

Oct 16, 2018
    Sound Synergies Lectricare

8. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    Have you tried turning the offending knob back-and-forth 100 times quickly ? I have found in most cases this will solve the problem

9. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    I was told to turn it back and forth until it feels like your hands gonna fall off THEN 100 more times. :D works for me.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If you loop a rubber band around the knob and grab the free end with both hands you can whip your hands back and forth rapidly and get 100 sweeps really quick.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021