Non-Funky Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fab Savage, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hi All

If possible could I get your opinions/recommendations on an envelope filter that you would typically class as non-funky! It seems most do get a wet quacky booty shaking sound.

It might be that envelope filters are just not for me, however I do love the sound of my wah! So maybe there as a filter out there that suits my alt rock needs?

2. Dick Tree

Dick Tree

May 26, 2011
    Normal, IL
    Maybe a phaser is what you're looking for

3. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    i recently purchased a 3leaf audio GR (the first one) ... and its not funky at all ... i actually find it a bit muddy/dubby.

i can only use it if i turn it on all the time, turning it off mid-song is like changing instruments

4. I own a MXR M82 and it's quite tweak-able! I also don't like it to sound too quacky and with this pedal the quackyness can be adjusted from almost none to annoyingly high levels. Here's a nice idea what this pedal can do: MXR M82 Bass Envelope by Uriah Duffy - YouTube

5. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Generally speaking, envelope filters are funky by nature. I would agree with the poster who suggested a phaser, especially for alt rock.

6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I wanted a subtle bit of wah and got it with the Ashdown, now using a Source Audio with program 1, the sweep set just a tad to the right of noon, the filter tuned lowish, about 10am. This setting sounds great Before fuzz too, adds a mid boost. Also finding subtle shaping effects with EH Talking Machine, usually set to wah (1st setting) or EE (11am), slow attack and release, and blend set at 10:30 (mostly clean) which is necessary as it isn't low pass.

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    DOD 440 and related clones.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'd agree with this, much more "spacey" than funky. Tone factor has a great clone sold as the Mojo Hand Analogue Filter 442.

Subdecay Prometheus is another that isn't particularly funky.

The Iron Ether Xerograph is very tweakable with a wide array of sounds and worth checking out.

And the discontinued (and overpriced IMO) Guyatone BR-2 is what Justin Chancellor uses on a few Tool songs for a really aggressive "whomp" especially when paired with dirt.

9. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

You need to turn in your bass player card. While you're at it, turn in your man card too. :ninja:

10. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth The best metal for bass Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Poppycock. I vastly prefer a wah to a quacky EF, myself.

To the OP: for wah-like sounds out of an EF, give a Mad Professor Snow White AutoWah a chance if you can; it is designed for the player who likes wah tones, but wants an envelope-controlled effect.

11. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Xerograph = best for EF for metal.

Seriously, it can some very heavy, non-funky noise.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Really? That's not been my experience with a first generation GR at all. I use that pedal for one song, and only for the verses/guitar solo of that one song. I've been incorporating it into some new tunes, and just as with the other, I use it for parts, and don't for others. Sounds great.

My only caveat is that it took a fair amount of knob/switch fiddling to get there. My final settings were pretty "simple" but it was quite a journey to get there.

13. Funkyness is in the hands, not the filter. That said, I've gone through a TON of filters and there hasn't been a single one I couldn't make sound super funky.

Poppycock!

14. Phatbottom

Phatbottom

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    +1 on dat.

btw The Prometheus is pretty funky. It can sound spacey on some settings though. Great filter regardless. Step filter might be cool for non-funky application.

15. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
  16. Yeah, god forbid someone plays a style of music different from your favorite. :rolleyes:

To the OP:

The Moog can be easily used in non-funky situations (I actually don't really like it for funk). Especially if you use an expression pedal.

17. Funkinthetrunk

Yes, God forbid. BTW, what is my favorite kind of music?

If you don't want a "funky" filter, you're better off not using one. As Kwesi said....they're all funky. That's what it's designed for. But I suppose you can turn knobs until there's no quack happening....then what? Is that the sound he's looking for?

18. Maybe, however I do use a Maxon phaser (which I love) but find that phaser falls more in the chorus/flanger category and I am looking for something a bit different.

Yeah but I mean who wants to sound like JC :bag:

Well Im not much of a bass player really and I gave away my man card ages ago when I started conforming to my girlfriends demands that I spend less money on gear and more on her :scowl:

Cool as Smurf I will check it out. Thanks.

Possibly maybe I figured it would make more sense to have something that responds to playing dynamics though given I have a decent way pedal anyways.

Thanks Chief, I do have a mission engineering exp pedal going to waste but I fear the moog may eat up too much real estate for me. Good thought though.

I ve also just had a look at the Malekko omicron filter, and seems small but tweak-able enough. Anyone used this guy?

19. Funkinthetrunk

Yeah...I've been there.

Is there a particular sound you're after? Anything on youtube we can check out that may be close?

20. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    +1. So many people try envelope filters, then complain about them sounding like...envelope filters! IMO, the closest you'll get to a wah sound and action with an envelope filter is if you get one with both attack AND decay controls. That way, you can play with attack, decay, Q and sensitivity to give it more of a relaxed, wah-like tone. FWIW, judging from demos, the Solid Gold FX Funkbox actually sounds more like a wah than the MP Snow White. Of course, you could just rock a treadle wah and leave the envelope filters to us funky folks!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021