1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NOOB QUESTION!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chino410, Mar 17, 2009.

1. chino410

chino410

Mar 17, 2009
    i just want to gain more knowledge so here it goes: whats the difference between jazz basses and precision basses? also im interested in bass and cabinet builds so anything will be helpful.

2. Dude, run!!

3. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Luthiers Corner will show you what you need to build- but read ALL the stickies!!!

4. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Jazz basses fall over when you lean them against something.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  6. other_beatingA_DeadHorse.

7. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Besides the obvious you are going to get trounced on here for asking?

the nut width is narrower on the Jazz and it has single coil pickups. But every variation under the sun available makes that only a general truth.

My experience seems to find P-basses being lighter too. Also not true in every case.

8. Sorry bud, but people are going go crazy on you. Fender.com is a good place to start, as well as wikipedia. They will tell you the ins and outs.

Go play them side by side.

9. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    not if you hold your mouth open just right they don't

10. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    In your other post in the Pickups section you say you've got a fender deluxe active 5 string jazz bass so you're half way there to knowing what the difference is!:D

Honestly though, what are you trying to find out here or are you just mucking around?

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Check out the link in my sig. Lots of great info there.

12. The Precision came first and was the first popular fretted bass guitar.

From what I have been told, the Jazz bass was created because most jazz players wanted a beefier neck which reminded them of their upright, and also something that would stand at an angle more naturally, closer to their upright position, hence the body shape (which is also very nice to look at, IMHO).

The P therefore has a slimmer neck and the J a beefier neck.

Also the P is very basic, no frill and has only one split double coil pickup.

The J has two single coil pickups, which can be set to work as a humbucker when putting the volume at 10 on both.

13. I think you've got that backwards.

14. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yup, he did got that backwards.

The P-bass has a chunkier "beefier" neck. That's why I prefer the Precisions, because I have big hands. A skinny Jazz bass is not so comfortable to me.

Nope, it's the other way around.

Actually the Jazz bass was created with the idea in mind that it would be easier for guitarists to switch over to bass guitar, not to convert double bassists.

15. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Noob answer:

P-BASS GO THUMP

J-BASS GO GRRRRRR

Seriously, do a search.

16. LMFAO........ Where did you get that?!

17. Someone has lied to you, my son!

18. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    LOL.

Post of the year.

19. Steamboat Willy

Steamboat Willy

Mar 2, 2009
    Just like to make a point here guys as a fairly new member myself.

No doubt the question Chino asked has been seen a thousand times by most of the older members but the few answers that were posted about different pick-ups and neck widths I found useful.

Telling somebody to 'do a search' is not that helpful simply because this site is so bloody big!!

As a test I put in a search 'difference between jazz and precision' and got 34 pages of results, so seriously - How is that any help to anyone? Sometimes you've just got to ask the question again and hope not to get flamed

20. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    google it!