1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noodling/Showing-off between songs

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by coreyfyfe, Nov 29, 2008.

1. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I don't know what it is, maybe some people feel the need to show that they're better than their songs make them appear, but this has to be the most annoying thing at shows. Typically, it's some guitarist, twittering away on some lick while people are sound checking or between songs, but tonight it was a bassist, and it was pretty damn annoying. Ok, I get it, you're a talented bass player, but really, there is no reason what so ever to start playing primus licks between every song. Even the bartender kept yelling "shut the hell up" every time this guy would play something.

Really, I just don't get it.

/Rant.

Sorry, had to let it out some where.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's very unprofessional. And it happens all the time... :eyebrow:

MM

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Definitely. Usually it's not the bass player though, maybe that's why it bothered me so much.

4. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    I totally agree. I was at a show where between every song his band played the bass player would throw in some little fancy riff or run that had nothing to do with the song he had just played and always turned out not to be the intro to their next song.

They were an originals band and it really seemed like he was either unhappy with the songs, unable to come up with lines he was satisfied with or he wasn't primarily a bass player.

5. B4snrise

B4snrise

Nov 26, 2007
    Earth
    One of the gui****s frequently starts noodling a song we didn't play as a band, sometimes the drummer starts in too. Someone in the audience would recognize the riff, get amped up thinking we were about to play their favourite song and request it after they finally stopped. The gui**** would look at the rest of us for support knowing we never worked on the song thinking we may just once want to save his hide. With an embarrassed look he would have to admit over the PA he didn't know the rest or the band as a whole hadn't practiced it.

Funny bit is he never learned and after maybe 100 times still does this. :mad:

6. mike.b

mike.b

Aug 21, 2007
    england
    its unusual to be the bass player.one of the band s i used to be in had 3 noodlers/wankers.one of the gui****s would go off on one and when he finished the other gui**** would start and when he finished the drummer would have a go.gigs and rehearsals were a nightmare.i think its gotta be in the top 5 of pet hates in bands.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    We really try to play nothing between songs. I don't want to hear your noodling or tuning. Just the song.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If there is one thing that will push me to "go postal" is noodling. I played with a guy that played kickoff's and riffs from songs that we couldn't play. This particular band was blues mostly, and sometimes we were the wrong band for the venue. Almost every gig we would get a request for something that got turned down, then he would play a piece from that request between songs (really pissing me off.) Example: "Hey, you guys do any Zepplin?" "No, sorry--we haven't worked any up." Then, he would play the opening to "The Ocean."

9. I think this is only fun if some band members are good enough to play along the riff right away, even if they've played it never before. Sort of improvisional part between songs. Can be less boring for the audience than to wait for the guitarist to have a new string tuned up or the keyboarder to step through a couple of sound banks to find the sound for the next song... (yes, these things happen, even if the players are reasonably professional)

One night in a club, the amp used by our guitarist would just not make any more sound... and the stage techs were feverishly working on reviving it... so the rest of the band started a funky impro over a riff I started playing off the top of my head. The audience started dancing...

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I can't stand noodling.

+1 to oli: If all players are good enough to fake a tune, maybe a start can be turned into a decent rendition. This is rare.

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    One of the benefits of having a tight set list is that there isn't space between every song for players to noodle.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    This needs to stop. I even hate to see bands do this when i see bands out myself. Get this under control now with a band meeting.The bands i have been in do not do this or allow it ...unprofessional!

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    haha that's the only good usage I've heard of

14. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    its even better during rehearsals..when your guitarist brings his 4x12 marshall rig..while the rest of the band has a 1x12 combo..and just LOVES all those great van halen riffs, that make the rest of us gag..

15. Yeah, our lead guitarist does that now. But he burnt alot of brain cells in the 80s so I'm not sure he even knows he's doing it. He has a boatload of nervous energy, it's one thing that makes him stand out as a player. It is frustrating though when he starts playing a song we don't do and gets a few people in the crowd worked up to hear it, then stops.

One time he just kept playing a song (Money by Pink Floyd). The drummer joined in and the singer just looked at him like "now what"?

I was torn because I know the song but decided not to get in the middle. I think it's very un-professional to put the singer on the spot like that. The singer and the guitar player had a long talk on the next break. Understand, our singer is about 6'2, 250. The guitar player is all of maybe 160 soaking wet. It was an interesting chat to say the least. :ninja:

16. We keep a Tazer onstage to keep our guitar player from wanking away between songs.

17. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Add me to the postal brigade. My experiences have been more often with drummers just playing random rolls and thumps between songs, but I can see where it could be a lot worse with guitarists because they'll play something the audience will recognize and if the whole band can't play the tune, well, it's like what most of you have already described...:mad:

18. IMO this is the type of stuff that happens when there is no real frontman in the band, talking in between songs. Sometimes drummers need a few seconds to catch their breath (as well as the rest of the guys) and silence on stage isn't good.

19. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    How's this... in a rock band, doing a mix of cover and originals: guitar player/front man who has (sort of) figured out how to play a "jazzy" version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (a la Clapton) -- he'll start in on this without warning (either between songs, or at the end of a break, as we're reassembling for the next set) & won't stop, and the rest of us just stand there and wait for him to finish, looking at the ground or the ceiling. He's got good voice, so he can sing it well, but he never nails the guitar part, and it's totally, totally, totally off the mark in terms of our band material. But he thinks it's great. He's so narcissistic it just doesn't dawn on him that it's weird and lame. Strangling comes to mind. He's a talented dufus .. We put up with him, but not without tension.

I've told him more than once that I don't want him to do it & he agrees & then does it anyway and later asks me, "Wasn't that great?" And I say, "No, ____, I really don't think it works for us." And he looks at me like a puppy and says, "Really? I really like it."

20. Stradavus

Stradavus

Oct 21, 2005
    I will admit that I have noodled in the past during practice sessions, but NOT at gigs. :bag: