Nordstrand NPJ4SE comparison on a Sadowsky Metro HPJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ustabawannab, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I put these on and recorded the difference between the neck and bridge pickups.

NPJ4SE pickups on a Sadowsky Metro HPJ

I recorded this through a Pod X3 Live running a Eden World Tour Amp and 410XLT cabinet model. All virtual tone settings flat. The X3 is connected to my Lexicon Ionix U42s USB interface via the S/PDIF into Cubase4 LE. The drummer is just a sample from Toontracks EZ-Drummer

The first three samples have the Vintage Tone Control all the way up and the bass and treble set to flat (all the way off)
    The second three samples have the Vintage Tone Control rolled all the way off, the bass and treble settings set the same way.
    I'm playing with a .95 Clayton pick

Clickable Photobucket image. Gets really big

th_Front-body.gif

2. uptowndirt

uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    i really like se's imo they are going to be in a lot of basses soon.

3. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Great samples!

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Just got a PJ with Fralin set and Nordstrand pre and couldn't be happier. A little woolier.

5. brunjic

brunjic

Mar 18, 2010
    Croatia
    Are you sure that your pickups are actually NPJ4SE?

Because I found here on TB post from Roger Sadowsky:

"Our P4 (and matching J) is custom wound for me at DiMarzio.
    Our P5 (and matching J) is custom made by Carey Nordstrand."

6. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I took out the Sadowsky pups and installed the NPJ4SE set that I purchased from Macdaddy Music

7. brunjic

brunjic

Mar 18, 2010
    Croatia
    Thank you for information. I played Metro HPJ in a shop recently, and as much as I wanted to like it I had to admit that I preferred sound of RV4 WL.

I guess that you prefer NP4 pickup over stock one as well?

8. ustabawannab

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    To be perfectly honest, I could hardly tell the difference between the "stock" Sadowsky (DiMarzio?) neck P pup and the Nordy. The big difference I noticed was with the NJ4SE Bridge pup. Much more growl.

I had the NJ4SE set in my 2009 American Standard Jazz Bass. Loved them. I wanted the same bridge tone in the Sadowsky.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021