Nordstrand onboard Preamp convert to pedal? Need Advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bhoff5150, May 20, 2017.

1. Hello,

My tastes in my bass tone have become quite specific, and when it doesn't sound right to me it really bugs me. One of the key pieces to my sound is an onboard Nordstrand 3b-4a preamp in my Fender Custom Classic Jazz. I have this preamp in 2 different jazz basses (one is a backup) and have found I can't live without it which is where my dilemma comes in. I own a 1975 Fender jazz and for obvious reasons don't want to modify it to fit this preamp in the body. I really want to play this bass more, but every time I take it to a gig, I'll play half a set with it, and then pickup my other CS jazz that has the Nordstrand preamp in it because I'm jouncing for that sound. So my question is this:

How can I take a Nordstrand 3b-4a (or other version of Nordstrand 3 band pre) and put it into a box, where I can run the 1/4" out of my passive 75, plug it into the outboard boxed preamp and then run another 1/4" to my amp??

Is this possible?? Easy I hope?? I have tried many other outboard preamps (Sadowsky, Darkglass, Sansamp, Aguilar, etc....) and none of them give me what I get out of the Nordstrand.

Thanks TB for your input/advice!!

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

It shouldn't be too tough to mount a 3b in an enclosure and wire it up with whatever control scheme you want. Sounds like a really fun project!

NigelD likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021