1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordy or Sadowsky???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CTC564, Jun 7, 2011.

1. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I'm considering a Jazz bass and there seem to be many fans of each of these...

Any opinions regarding pros/cons of each?

Seems like I can't go wrong with either one...

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  3. One of my favorite bassists, Calvin Turner, was known to use a Sadowsky RV5. However, I saw him this past year with Dave Barnes, and he was using a Nordy. When I talked to him after the show, he just said the Nordy felt better in his hands.

4. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Neither. Get a Roscoe.

5. If it were my money and I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Nordy in a heartbeat.

6. mgbass

mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    They are both great bass's and bass companies, both Carey and Roger are first class guys with THE PASSION for building outstanding bass's.
    You really can't go wrong with either, its all about playing them and deciding which is best for YOU.
    Good Luck!
    MG

7. Time for a Nordowsky!

8. For my money, it's Nordstrand all the way. But that's only but so helpful, because it's your money, isn't it?

There are several threads that compare the two, but in short, a lot of people view Sadowsky as a 'modern' Jazz, whereas the Nordy is more true to the vintage sound/feel. Beyond that, you really just need to try at least one of each to get some representation. The good news is, since not everyone can easily do that, you're going to get a great bass, whichever you choose.

To me, Nordys and Sadowskys sound very different. Largely due to Carey's pickups, a standard Nordy sounds fairly vintage, with a good bit of midrange content. A Sadowsky, on the other hand, has deep bass and lots of sizzly treble, but definitely scoops the mids to give a more modern sound. I also prefer the Nordstrand preamp; it's much more adjustable, whereas just a little bit of boost in the Sadowsky preamp gives a dramatic change in sound, and that can be hard to control.

Anyway, that's my take. Good luck!

9. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I would have to agree with the above. Both are amazing instruments, but I would say Carey's basses capture the vintage vibe a bit better, while the Sadowsky's offer a slightly more modern take on the Jazz sound. The Nordy's will typically be a little heavier, but the Nordy's also have a compound radius on the neck that is amazing. Both basses playability is as good as it gets. I've owned both and you can't go wrong with either one. Both are absolutely world class instruments!

10. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I'm a Nordy fan...:D

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Sadowsky, of course. That being said, Id play Nordstrand if I couldnt find a Sadowsky. Both are killer. Sadowsky does rule, though

Rob

MAJOR METAL likes this.
  12. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    That' s what some people had told me when I was interested in a Sadowsky. I still like Roscoe basses.

Friedrich

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Both are amazing basses made by true talents in the industry. I don't think you could make a bad choice here...

14. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I think its amazing that you have those choices. It's like choosing between Jessica Simpson, and Jessica Beal. They are both amazing.

15. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    Jessica Beal!!!! :hyper:

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Jessica Tandy! LOL

Rob

17. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Personally, I can't get past the look of the Nordy headstock. Same problem with Lulls. Sadowsky actually uses Nordstrand pickups now, it is the Sadowksy pre that gives it the sound. that being said, I run my Sadowsky in passive mode almost all the time. I have a M5-24 though, which has a huge ballsy tone due to the Duncan Humbuckers. If I were going for a true jazz bass I would probably get an Alleva, which look way cooler than Nordy. If I wanted a more modern tone I would get the Sad.
    Also, for this price range, you could get a really nice early 70's Fender. Why not get the real thing? It will sound, look, and feel like a real jazz bass! I played a 73 Fender at Corner music a few months back that was one of the best sounding basses I have ever heard, and the neck was worn and smooth as butter.

(jessica biel)

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    First of all, let me say that both are top notch and I won't diss either one.

But if it was my money, I'd be getting a Brubaker. Best Jazz basses ever.

19. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    A man after my own heart. She messed me up in "Chuck and Larry". I had no idea she was that hot.

20. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Really appreciate the link and input from all...

And fwiw, definitely Jessica Biel..."Chuck and Larry" left me as smitten as a grade school pre teen :)