Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not sure about my new bass teacher, help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JonTheBassGuy, Jan 17, 2005.

1. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Ok so I just got a new bass teacher and I don't know if its just me or if this guy's techniques are a little weird.

1.He has me rest the bass on my left leg when I've been resting the bass on my right since I picked up a bass.

2. He's created his own tablature system and I can understand it fine but I'd rather learn how to read regular music.

3. He teaches with a pick most of the time. I've been playing with my fingers and its kind of causing a complication.

4. He is playing THE WORST bass I've ever heard. That thing is buzzier than anything I've ever heard, the intonation is off

5. Overall, I was not impressed with him. He had me do an exercise and when he played along with me, HES the one that messed it up. This happened about 5 times. His techniques for playing didn't impress me either. :scowl:

This has kind of got me worried. If any of you were in my position, what would you do? Any comments?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Get a new teacher, then!

3. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    So does this guy seem a little weird to you also or am I just being paranoid? :meh:

I already paid for a month, the music store made me, than I'm switching to another guy.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if the guy is not able to teach you at a level you'd like, there is no "Month in advance"! Tell the store to put your month towards a teacher that suits you.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Take anything useful, then move on. Don't be to hasty though, he might have some good contacts. Have fun.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

yeah, good point.... but I hate wasting money :meh:

7. I think you should express your concerns to that music store. It sounds like you're not getting what you paid for, so tell them you want another (better) teacher, and that you want credit for the first "lesson" you already had.

8. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I first wanna make sure its not a first day thing, see if he does any better next lesson, If not, time for a new bass instructor.

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Is he a guitar player, by any chance? ;)

10. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    it says on the business card guitar teacher but the people at the store said he did both.

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I see... BEWARE.

"If you can play guitar, you can play bass. Bass is easier, since it has less strings..." :rolleyes:

That would explain why he can't play bass for ****. I've had one like this. For theory, anyone will do. For technique, get a real bass player to teach you. My 2¢.

12. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    I hate people like that, I think he's one of those guys that does a little bit of everything. Cuz right after my bass lesson, a lady playing the violin went into the room for lessons. :eyebrow: I wish he was all bass cuz he seems like the type that teaches every instrument halfassed.

13. Sherlock Holmes:

That's because this guy isn't really a bassist, he's a guitarist (classically trained, most likely) who figures that bass is just a 4-stringed guitar. That's why he had you rest the bass on your left leg, and that's also why he uses a pick. That's also why he plays so buzzily, because he's used to the small strings and small frets on a guitar.

Next he'll tell you to buy a footrest to raise your left leg so that you can play the bass at more of an angle.

Get a new teacher, dude.

14. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    OMG DUDE, he did play his bass at an angle. a really sharp, 60-80 degree angle. he also told me to tighten my strap so the bass is right there. are these the characteristics of a classical guitarist?

15. Not necessarily. Both are pretty good sense. Lots of bassists favor a high bass, and I like to use a steep neck angle. The left-leg position is a little funny, since most bassists don't do it, but not bad technique. Regardless, he doesn't sound like someone who's likely to be a good bass teacher.

16. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    get a teacher that YOU feel comfortable with. a BASS teacher, not a guitar teacher who plays bass. :scowl:
    a good teacher is one of the best things a new bass player can have. and i wouldn't pay in advance any more. only pay after you are satisfied with the lesson.

17. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Yea, thanks for all the great advice. I've decided I'm gonna ask the store to give me a new teacher. A BASS teacher who won't tell me that putting the bass on my left leg is "proper" technique. One who impresses me when hes trying to show off.

18. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    BTW, what's this new tablature system he was using?

19. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Its weird, he had like a fretboard drawing and he numbers it the order your supposed to go and what frets your supposed to play. I havent seen something like it before, It was new to me but other may have seen it. so in the end it just looks like a fret board picture with circles and 2 different set of numbers.

20. was he showing you scale or modal patterns at all?