Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Notes on Staff vs Fretboard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pax, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Pax

Pax

May 21, 2003
    Hey everyone, just bought my first bass a few days ago...and now I think im ready to start getting into things. But, ive got one big question:

Does anyone have a list of how i play the different notes on the staff? For example:

------------

------------

------------

------------
    O
    ------------

on the staff that note would be an "A" (right?) but, how do i play an A? what string/fret do I use? If anyone is able to help me out with this for all the notes on the staff...I would really appreciate it!

Is there a website/another forum post? ive been looking but i cant find one. And...are there any other general tips youve got for a first time bassist?

EDIT: one other question...I've been reading some stuff on the net, and some articles say that i should pluck the E string with my thumb, A with my index finger and D with my middle finger. Others say that i should use my index and middle to play all strings. Which is correct? and, if the first is correct, what do i use to play the G string? Thanks again!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Use middle and finger for al strings. Most common way.

an A is played by an open A string..duh...

or 5th fret on E.

3. Pax

Pax

May 21, 2003
    ok, thx for the finger stuff. and i knew that the A was open on A string, but what about the other notes? how do i go about playing them? Is there a chart or somthing anywhere that will show me the note on the staff and then next to it, how to play it?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea, search this forum for "notes of the fretboard" or something and people have posted links to sites wit a diagram of the notes.

5. Pax

Pax

May 21, 2003
    Thanks guys! Found exactly what I was lookin for...and some extra stuff!