Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noticed, background??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Obsolex, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Hell yeah

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Band comes first

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Not at all

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Have chops, use 'em from time to time

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. Carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Do you guys care about being noticed in your band?? Or do you try to make basslines to showoff, that sound good of course though... Or do you just like, make up riffs with the guitarist and play in sync...??

2. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    RU talking on recordings or on stage?

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Just in general. As a band MEMBER... Do you kind of like to show off with basslines in songs, or keep it simple kind of thing??

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Right, I gotta say that these two descriptions leave a lot of room for a middle option!

I dont care about being noticed enough to try to show off, and I definitley dont write basslines to try and show off.

That said, it is always nice if someone complements you on your playing after a gig.

BUT I'd much rather someone said "wow you're band is great", rather than the "wow, you're drummer is great, you and he have a real cool thing going there" - which is obviously very nice to hear, but the band is why I'm there, not the drums!

So, I guess I dont care if I get noticed, but it is nice when it happens, anyway "the band comes first, period" - and that's what I answered.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I get hired not for my (mediocre) chops but for my willingness to take direction and support the other (better) players.

No sense showing off when there is nothing to show off :D

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Done... :)

7. Musically, I'm an attention whore. I play fancy stuff and I like to shake my booty on stage and I like watching the chicks on the dancefloor. :D

The big sex&drugs&rocknroll deal. :D

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like to get noticed in the sense that without my playing people would be like "this doesn't work"

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah...

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I do whatever the song calls for, I show off a little as long as it does not affect the feel of the song, the song is the most important thing but I like to have fun too.

11. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Having learned music by playing brass instruments in a wind ensemble setting, I truly enjoy making the ensemble sound good.

I take the same approach to rock music... I want the BAND to sound good, I really don't care if anyone notices me or not. Then again, I am married with a kid, so I am not really looking for groupies! :D

Cheers,
    Chris

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use all the tools at my disposal to be the best musican I can.

13. If you lay down a solid groove for the rest of the band then you WILL be noticed!

[​IMG] Treena

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Exactly!

But I doodle on stage between songs! :D