1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darkglass, Jan 7, 2016.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    I can’t comment on the Broughton, having never owned one. But I for one will never use a drive pedal again without my OCSD at the end of the chain.

XLunacy likes this.
  2. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    That's a strong recommendation. Might make this one happen in a few weeks or so.

ExaltBass likes this.
  3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    It really has been a revelation to me. I am so particularly excited and overzealous about this pedal because for sooooooo long I have been unhappy and frustrated with how my drive pedals sounded direct. I mostly play direct only these days in church and I couldn’t get a good drive sound in my headphones to save my life. And the OCSD has finally given me that. It’s such a relief. It also saved a couple of drive pedals from the Reverb chopping block. In particular, my Darkglass VMT and Zvex Basstortion sound phenomenal now.

kevk and ExaltBass like this.
  4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    The Broughton and this are two different things. The OCSD has high and low pass filters, but they are tuned very differently than just frequency cuts. There are also other EQ tweaks in the OCSD that the Broughton doesn't do, but could with the an added Broughton Parametric EQ - the pair of which would go well beyond the OCSD.

Most people would find use for both pedals in a rig - the Broughton before the first / fx as a trimmer for your standard bass tone to keep drive focused; and the OCSD to simulate the cab tone right at the end. I personally have found the OCSD to be indespensible in my sound for bass and guitar, but I can't stand what it does to a synth sound - It's just so damn good at sounding like a bass / guitar amp and easy to get a good sound from.

ExaltBass and kevk like this.
  5. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    Understood, and I apologize for not detailing my intentions better. I know the Broughton ultimately serves a different purpose, and it's amazing at what it does. However, I'm looking for additional tone shaping options. The high response (lpf) setting would cover a bit of the functionality of my Broughton which is nice. Space is limited on my board though, so it'd have to go.

In summary.. The demos sound fantastic, you guys are selling me on it, and I just have to wait a bit before it can happen to flip a few things since I'm sticking with a PT Jr.

ExaltBass likes this.
  6. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    I ordered one (I hate you all). ;)

loopee, zcwilkes and ExaltBass like this.
  7. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

For folks who haven't seen it yet, I have one with custom eq points up in the classifieds

8. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    And now I hate myself too!

9. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ignore the settings, I just it wired up. I added the second OCSD and the Drive Maker. I’ll have sometime later to dial them in again.

3DA0B8BE-9E34-4BE1-BFC7-053FD1BD9ADE.

10. Dsmnoisemaker

Dsmnoisemaker Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 2, 2016
    Santiago, Chile
    Owner of DSMNOISEMAKER pedals
    I love how black, white and gold dominates the pedalboard :)

ExaltBass likes this.
  11. willsellout

willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Key West, FL
    Why two OCSD’s?

Lowendtech likes this.
  12. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Choices, without having to fiddle.

kevk, loopee, jumbo_steelie and 3 others like this.
  13. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

You’re not alone. I liked V1 so much, I bought a V2 as well. But I don’t have them both on the same board.

jumbo_steelie and ExaltBass like this.
  14. knowledgebass

knowledgebass

Mar 26, 2008
    KW, ON
    Waiting is so hard :hyper::bored: :crying: It's only been 2.5 weeks since it shipped. How long to Canada normally?

15. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

It should be there inside the week I think. Mine took about 3weeks.

knowledgebass likes this.
  16. knowledgebass

knowledgebass

Mar 26, 2008
    KW, ON
    It arrived today! :bassist: About 2.5 weeks to my door. Not sure when I'll have a chance to play with it. Will try to squeeze it in tonight. Hopefully I won't have to wait until the weekend...

17. knowledgebass

knowledgebass

Mar 26, 2008
    KW, ON
    Just a little bit of time to play last night. I really like what it does for the sound. Definitely makes it sound more natural. I ran it as a headphone amp with none of my other pedals in front of it. Only ran an active bass into it but I'd like to run a passive to see how it sounds. Definitely a noticeable improvement. Lots of reviews indicate its subtle, but I'd say it's the difference between playing through an amp/cabinet and playing unplugged.

Played briefly with electric guitar sounds into it as well. Direct to pedal and into headphones. Greatly improves the tone to make it sound more guitar like than the straight pass-through.

Will report back after spending some more time with it. Most curious about running my regular pedal setup (which itself is pretty new) through it at jam night to see how it fits in the mix.

18. knowledgebass

knowledgebass

Mar 26, 2008
    KW, ON
    So had my first practical experience with it this week. Basically, jam night got moved, and then delayed and them moved again to my place (life). Normally we monitor through a mixer/computer interface and I sold my amp to buy pedals. So not having any other way to play and monitor I plugged into a 90's era Fender Squire 15W guitar amp. Honestly, this was a terrible idea and I had zero expectations. However, even though it had no right to work, bass sounded like bass. It didn't kick you in the chest, but it was surprising how much twiddling the filter knobs got it to something that sounded like not-a-terrible-bass amp which is better than I could have hoped for. Even the low-B was audible (don't misinterpret this, there was no fundamental coming out the poor 8" driver). Disengage the OCSD and it got really flabby/distorted (I was accompanying an acoustic guitar so didn't need to push lots of air). Engaging the pedal really tightened up the sound to something that was miles better than I had any right to demand from the little amp. Pushing it too far to the size or closed speaker settings started distorting the driver, or when trying to up the SPL output. Still, a serviceable guitar practice amp became a serviceable bass practice amp. Loud enough to support an acoustic. Not my intended application but I can see myself making use of this. Also my first glimmer of how well this should work over a decent, full range PA.

19. Dsmnoisemaker

Dsmnoisemaker Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 2, 2016
    Santiago, Chile
    Owner of DSMNOISEMAKER pedals
    Wow that's an extreme situation!
    I'm glad the omni helped you pull it off!!
    Some users call it the "amp fixer" as it helps a lot with crappy backline amps

20. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    Man no joke. Mine has been in transit since early May. It spent about a week or more either in an airport or flying around with an airplane.... and now it’s stuck in customs. Cmon little pedal, you can do it!! :hyper:

loopee and Fuzzbass like this.