1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darkglass, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    This... pedals will come and go, but the OCSD is permanently afixed at the end of my signal chain.

Frank_Raider, EMoneySC2, kevk and 3 others like this.
  2. Valveman

Valveman Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Rural Twin Cities
    Truly an amazing pedal. Always at the end.

2018-05-21 045 med.

3. Finally mine arrived :) (i'm at the other edge of the world) can't wait to try it...

20180523_012718.

4. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    v2 on the way! It may be a week or so before I can do anything with it, just moved house and getting my rig set back up is sadly lower on the priority list...but very much looking forward to getting back into it.

Dsmnoisemaker and ExaltBass like this.
  5. Dsmnoisemaker

Dsmnoisemaker Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 2, 2016
    Santiago, Chile
    Owner of DSMNOISEMAKER pedals
    Great!!
    Looking forward for your feedback!!

BTW, i will be attending to this summer NAMM in Nashville!!
    You are all invited to our booth if you're in the area!! I would love to meet you guys!!!

loopee, NoxNoctus, TrentB and 7 others like this.
  6. When there's no amp in the rehearsal room and you have to use the PA, the OCSD saves the day ;)
    IMG_1099.JPG

7. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Nice - let us know how you like it! I'm on the same side of the atlantic, how long did it take overall? It's been already a three weeks wait for me.

Cheers!

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    ExaltBass likes this.
  8. I'm in Istanbul / Turkey but my cousin is in NY, he bring it to me, so i don't know how long it takes with shipping :/

ExaltBass likes this.
  9. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Finally received mine this morning :)

IMG_0015.JPG

XLunacy, kevk, jumbo_steelie and 3 others like this.
  10. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I don't really need one of these but am curious to try one out. Can this act as a preamp in addition to a cab sim? I use a Sansamp BDDI so I was just curious if an additional preamp would be needed before this pedal or if the OCSD can act as both.

11. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

It's definitely one of the most powerful EQ/tone shapers I've ever used. EQ changes aside, it's meant to be totally transparent. Up to you whether that transparency is what you want

1983L2000 likes this.
  12. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    The input is Instrument/Line level so you can plug your bass and any pedals into it without a preamp - but although it basically EQs your signal (in very specific ways) it won't give you traditional EQ settings or a BDDI's tone shaping abilities.

It really depends what you want to do and how you want to use it. I know that if I had had a tool like that in the past, there would have been quite a few occasions where I would have wanted to just plug my bass into it and straight to the console (well assuming it's as good as I hope it is!) and not lug anything else but a tuner.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  13. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    I recently A/B'd mine with my Tech 21 VT Bass DI. While I looooove the OCSD and the cab sim feature simply obliterates the cab sim/character function of the VTDI (in my opinion), I felt I still needed some additional EQ shaping with my passive basses which the OCSD does not offer directly. So I decided to use my VTDI before the OCSD (way before in the chain) so I can still boost the EQ a bit to my tastes - or the tastes of the room - before it hits the OCSD. But there's no need for a mid-EQ with the mid boost and cut features of the OCSD. I basically use the VTDI as a slight signal boost and slight (like 1:00 on each) low and high boost. I have the blend all of the way counter-clockwise and the speaker sim off (of the VTDI) so it's purely an EQ pedal at this point. Plus, it's just a bonus to still have the VTDI in the chain in case - God forbid - my OCSD crapped out or I wanted to have yet another EQ flavor in the mix I can engage when needed. But in a pinch I could do without the VT and just use the OCSD. The added EQ is just a bonus.

14. jarrah

jarrah

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    How useful will this be for someone who doesn't use any effects live?
    I'm looking to do a "go anywhere" ampless pedalboard. I was thinking tuner - compressor - Omnicabsim. I could live without the compressor to be honest. Will I need anything else? Just looking to get a decent tone into the p.a.

ExaltBass likes this.
  15. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

It's a pretty powerful toneshaper that never gets fully transparent. Sorta seems the opposite of what you're going for.

What are you hoping to accomplish with it? Just be a DI?

EDIT: sorry, the exclusive talk about pedals plus my longstanding use of fearful cabs made me forget that people have cabs and amps that have characteristics ;)

If you're looking to send a tone that sounds like your onstage setup to FOH, the OCSD will do that

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    monsterthompson and ExaltBass like this.
  16. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    For me it sounds awesome by itself. As a bonus, it makes anything you put in front of it sound better. I really liked the sound I was getting with my Joyo American before I got my OCSD and it really put that sound over the top. I could gig without any pedals but I’d be pretty sad if I had to leave the OCSD behind. For reference we are ampless and my signal is bass>whatever effects I’m dabbling with>American>OCSD>DI to mixer.

ExaltBass likes this.
  17. Dsmnoisemaker

Dsmnoisemaker Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 2, 2016
    Santiago, Chile
    Owner of DSMNOISEMAKER pedals
    It can be 100% transparent....if you bypass it :p

18. jarrah

jarrah

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    Thats ok. Yes, I'm looking to send more of a miced up cab sound to the front of house rather than a dry di sound. I have thought about using a light overdrive before the di though, but the Omnicabsim seems like a better solution. I'm going for 60s/70s old school bass tones (p bass) if that helps.

ExaltBass and Alien8 like this.
  19. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Absolutely no problem there. Just pick your favorite "drive" / dirt / character pedal and put it infront. Yes you could get away without one if you only want clean bass, but it just makes the good character pedals shine. I'm running a valve caster into it as my main toan and it's just perfect. Don't let your guitarist see it, or better yet, just buy each guitarist you have one.

ExaltBass likes this.
  20. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    In my opinion the OCSD will be absolutely perfect for that. The only inconvenient is that you'll be tempted to "change cabs" from songs to songs because it's so easy :woot:

In any case I think the OCSD is now my #1 pedal and I doubt it will leave my board anytime soon.

TA3l.