1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darkglass, Jan 7, 2016.

1. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I used this Sunday , and it was amazing!!
    Was my first time with it.. So completely impressed ..
    20180610_093647.

BrentSimons and ExaltBass like this.
  2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    You need a larger pedalboard son! The OCSD plays so nicely with a Noble and Cali :bassist:

3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Do it! Do it! Do it! That would be a minimalist setup that would sound phenomenal. And (per your later post) it's easy to dial in a vintagey tone with the OCSD. High at 9:00. Cab size and resonance around 3:00-4:00, scoop out some mids, and it's P-bass thump city! That's how I use mine, anyway. And for a little grit I actually love my Zvex Basstortion, which sounds great at low gain. For a little more SVT-ish grit, I dial in the Darkglass VMT. Can't go wrong with either (or others). Everything sounds great through the OCSD, especially with passive basses, which is all I own with one exception (a Peavey Cirrus).

On a side note, I can actually get it to sound fairly neutral/transparent in certain settings, but that totally defeats the purpose. I primarily use mine to get a good drive sound running direct, which necessitates its having a colored tone to dial out the harshness of drive pedals. I'll never play without it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    MTN.bass72, 1983L2000 and ExaltBass like this.
  4. jarrah

jarrah

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks for the responses guys. The Omnicabsim is expensive in Australia but I think it's totally worth it for my ampless gigs.

5. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    I have spent years chasing certain sounds in my head with different pedals, only to come out disappointed in the end. On two different occasions (the Darkglass VMT and the OCSD), I decided to finally stop trying to get by with cheaper imitations and just go with the real thing, and both times I have been very happy that I did. I have some decent-sounding, less-expensive pedals, but the old adage is true. You get what you pay for. And in the case of the OCSD, if it's a direct-to-board amp tone in a box that you're looking for, it's worth every penny.

6. MTN.bass72

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Oh good gravy!! Don't remind me :banghead:
    Since I'm doing double duty now, I'm trying to figure out how I can do both setups on one board... but I'm not liking that idea... so I'll probably put two boards together and dare I say, get a second OCSD o_O ;) :hyper:...
    In this pic , though, I wasn't running both boards.. just the bottom one with the OCSD :thumbsup:

ExaltBass likes this.
  7. jarrah

jarrah

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    How does the Omni work with the Thumpinator? I have a Thumpinator and I thought it might be redundant with the frequency filtering the Omni does?
    The Darkglass VMT is definently something I want. The only reason I don't use pedals live is I'm not co-ordinated enough to stomp them at the right moment and it distracts from my playing. I own a ton of fuzzes, octavers and envelope filters though. If I had the VMT for my ampless pedalboard it would be an always on type thing and I'd probably quit using a compressor.

ExaltBass likes this.
  8. MTN.bass72

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    @jarrah ... to my ears, the mThumpinator works well with everything... this particular photo was Sunday at church.. I literally put the board together a few minutes before the photo was taken. The little bit we practiced it sounded amazing!! But, an abbreviated version of the story, when we started service, my sound dropped from the monitors, so I didn't get to hear much of it

9. I used for the first time last week and i think it's really amazing. All my overdrive, distortion pedals was so harsh when i go direct to mixing board, its improved dramatically. I think it will never leave my pedalboard. :)

IMG_20180609_133524_200.

10. Holy Poopnuggets! :)
    Do you use all of those?? :bassist::hyper:

I usually don't use effects but I have been intrigued lately with all of this gadetry. The Blower Box and the Crossover Distortion from Brimstone have peaked my interest lately. Plus the Malekko B:Assmaster and Black Cat Octave Fuzz. How do you like the Blower Box and Brimstone?
    Sorry to derail the thread! Game on! :)
    Best wishes,
    Brent

ExaltBass likes this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My 2¢: love 'em both. The Blower Box can do outrageous distortion levels, and also sounds cool for moderate and even light OD. Straightforward operation: Volume, Drive, Treble, Bass

The Brimstone is an excellent multi-band overdrive, but can be tricky to use (as are the other multi-band units I've tried).

ExaltBass, Berk Evren and BrentSimons like this.
  12. Thanks Fuzzbass! :)

ExaltBass and Fuzzbass like this.
  13. I use a lot of overdrive - distortion with my bands but honestly i need to decide and sell some of them :)

- Brimstone is an amazing distortion pedal, boost function is very useful for more distortion or volume boost, but it's not easy to use (too many sensitive knobs) and takes a lot of place in the pedalboard.

- I really like Blower Box, it has a nice low end and an insane amount of treble, i use it with treble at minimum all the time but it's still bright and i think also that it sounds a bit mid scooped.

Btw if you are looking for a fuzz; Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian is amazing, it doesn't get lost in the mix, have a clean blend (althought i don't think it's necessary) and sounds amazing!

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. Thank you @Berk Evren ! I appreciate your insight. :) Yes most of the vids I've seen on the Brimstone do sound great but the controls do look a bit daunting and probably far too involved for me.
    The Blower Box has me curious. Not too expensive either. I like the artwork on the earlier version .
    Best wishes,
    Brent

Berk Evren likes this.
  15. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Do you have an OCSD? It will absolutely tame that high end and tighten things down a bit for the harsher, can-of-bees frequencies. It is a must with a few of my drive pedals, and certainly makes all of them sound better to my ears.

Guest of Honor and Berk Evren like this.
  16. Yepp upper left in the photo :) I just received it and played once yet, but as u said all my drives sounds better already, i need to fiddle a bit more to understand how to set it up :)

17. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Doh! I clearly lost the plot on this thread. Enjoy the new sound of your dirt pedals...

BrentSimons and Berk Evren like this.
  18. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    Cannot wait for OCSD!!! It is in the mail now. Really stoked to hear how this beast sounds with my Darkglass pedals!

BrentSimons and Guest of Honor like this.
  19. jarrah

jarrah

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    Will phantom power harm the Omnicabsim?

20. FunWithBass

FunWithBass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    I read through the entire thread (took a while to do so) and I took notes along the way for myself as I plan to buy one soon.
    I copied this text from the thread which was a question about the OCS (not the OSCD). I don't know if the OCSD handles phantom power or not.

"Hello Frederic..
    The xlr out on the OCS is an active balanced DI. It doesn't have the standard +6dB out that the OCSD has.
    I wouldn't recommend to put phantom power into it.. I won't burst in flames, but i think it would harm the DI circuit eventually..

Cheers "

Edit: The user manual did not address this. Maybe it will be added to a future manual (please).

I think @Dsmnoisemaker will answer this for us.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018