Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NS Design EU6 (Pics coming!)

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Josh Curry, May 8, 2005.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I finally got confirmation on thursday last week that my new NSd EU6 is on it's way. It's scheduled to arrive on Tuesday of this upcoming week. I am very excited. I'm traditionally an electric bass player, but I played upright in High Scool (10 years ago). I decided earlier this year when I was at NAMM to get an NS EUB and get back into it. Well, it's finally happening! The only other place I've found them is on the Bass Central web site, but I'm actually getting mine through my Spector hookup. I also picked up a Brazilwood bow from Bob Gollihur since the main reason I am getting an EUB is for the arco sound.

Anyway, I just wanted to let anyone who's interested to know. I'm also curious to know if their are any other NS EU6, or 6-string EUB players out there.

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have a 4. Would love a 5 or 6. But I got my 4 used for only $1000 so I'm not complaining.

Steve

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Wow, that is a great deal! I can't actually say what I'm paying for this bass. I can say that Spector treats me good though :)

4. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    "the main reason I am getting an EUB is for the arco sound."

Josh, be sure and post back your findings on this front. This is also one of my concerns in deciding whether to get a 5 string or a 6 string. I take it that you were satisfied that the curvature/spacing of the EU6 would not make bowing impractical.

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    OH MAN! I love this thing! I got it yesterday, UPS came early :)

I haven't really had a chance to groove on it, and my upright technique is terrible, but I did get my new bow all rosin'd up and bowed a few notes. Whooooaaaa! It takes some tone tweaking, but this thing sounds absolutely AMAZING!!! Pizz, Arco, No Problem!!! This is the only EUB/URB you will ever need!

The string spacing is very nice, the radius, as far as bowing goes, isn't very forgiving, but I'm going to blame my poor technique before I blame the bass.

Pics coming, sorry....

6. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. I might be joining you soon. :)

I'm a little confused why you said arco was no problem and still said it wasn't forgiving. Can you clarify? Did you try any five string versions before getting it?

Also, for any of you other six stringers out there, is NS Design the only company that is having six string sets made? I'm nervous about going 6 if someday I won't be able to find strings because NS Design folded. Somebody commented in another thread about having trouble finding low B's that fit the NS as well.

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    NS Doesn't make the strings. I don't remember right off the top of my head who does though.

I should clarify that what I meant when I said that the arco was no problem. I meant that you get killer arco tone, not that the bridge/neck radius made arco playing easy. If I really watch where my bow is, I don't have any problem. If I'm sight reading a simple piece I will tend to hit the lower string. But, like I said, that's my poor technique. I've also never played anything more than a 4-string URB until yesterday.

Edit: Here's what PJ told me about the strings....

"the strings on the NSD basses are custom NSD strings made by D’Addario. the NSD ‘traditional’ CR basses come with D’Addario helicore strings for a more traditional upright tone and feel."

8. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    La Bella makes a high C and a low B.

9. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    Thank you, mheintz! I'm new to this world and will probably have a bunch of dumb questions along the way.

10. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    Josh you must be loving that NS too much because you haven't yet posted pics of it. Are you still going to post them?

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    HAHA, I know!!! I was kickin on that bad boy till about 11:00 pm last night. Which is pretty late for me since I have to get up at 6:30.

I WILL post pics! I'm just real busy w/ making knobs for people, work, my son's 1st birthday prep, (more excuses here) etc...

I have taken a few shots, but they didn't turn out too well.

12. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    How's your arco techique coming along, Josh?

I'm trying to decide whether to go with the EU6 or the EU5. I'm not planning to be an acrobat or anything, it's still critical for my live playing to hold down the low groove. I'm a 5 string fretless bass player who is interested in the melodic possibilities of a 6 string more for the studio side. Live, I'll do less bass solo/melodic lines. The vast majority of my playing on it will be pizz.

Were you sure you wanted the 6 instead of the 5 when you got it? Now that your fingers are getting acquainted with the fingerboard, do you find that the radius is comfortable for your playing when you are filling the more traditional bass role? Do you find your hand unnaturally extended with the 6 string reach?

I'd appreciate your perspective.

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Originally, I was going to get a 5-string. But, then I found out that the 6-string was going to be the same price anyway. I've been playing 6-string EB for quite a while so it just made sense to get the 6-string. I've been getting used to playing arco and even though it's only been a few days I am already doing better, you just have to get used to it.

Since I've been playing 6-string EB for probably almost 10 years I don't have any problem reaching the E or B string. It's hard for me to say if you should go to a 6-string EUB if you've never played 6-string EB before. going from 5 to 6 is a big leap for some, going to EUB from EB is much bigger. Doing both at the same time might not be a good idea, but it's really up to you.

14. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    Thanks. I haven't owned 6 string EB's before, but I've borrowed them on gigs and had no problem with the adjustment. That may not be the case for everyone though, because everyone's hands are different. I've briefly played a friend's 5 string Azola and found it to be just fine for mine.

I just wondered if you found the 6 string EUB jump substantially different than the 6 string EB jump. I agree that someone should never be advised to get a 5 or a 6 because "more strings are better". Tony Levin can groove on a 3 string just fine.

I'm assuming the one you played at NAMM was a fiver.

15. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'm sure this doesn't have to be repeated, Josh, but it doesn't exist until your friends here have seen it.

16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    HAHA! OK, pics today, I PROMISE!!!

Edit: PICS!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Josh...oh, Josh...the anticipation is killing me! You better be spending all this time mastering arco on that big 6!

!!!NEVERMIND!!!

18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Actually I'm having enough trouble with my intonation let alone bowing at the same time. I've set the bow aside for a while. I need to build some fingerboard memory before I'm going to pick it up again.

19. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    Good strategy to work on intonation first. Thanks for posting the pics; there's a serious shortage of NS sixer photos online as you found out. The only ones I've found are basscentral's and the portion of NS Design's site where it describe's Rob Wasserman's bass (here and here). Of course, Rob's site has some pics as well.

20. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    Josh, your last pic showcases how thin that NS neck is. I almost thought it was a typo when I was looking at the NS specs. That graphite laminate neck must be super strong to hold the tension of six strings. Does it feel solid? Did the action come low on it?

Any more thoughts on the bass now that you've lived with it for a while longer?