1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS Design NXT Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by dbassnut, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
  2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Me too. I had been using MB II for a long time with my NXT. It has been replaced by Broughton Messenger (V2) just recently, especially because of HPF feature. If EBS released this S. Clarke signature preamp before I got the Messenger, I would probably go for it...

Me too-I thing I would get it.

Yeah, I moved the EBS MB II from my EUB pedalboard to my BG pedalboard...

3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    At the time when I bought my NXT, I didn't have high impedance buffer/preamp. It sounded ok plugged into my amps.

So if you decide to purchase NXT, you will be able to play it.

It just sounds better when plugged into high impedance input. The bass frequencies are richer and the high mids are not harsch.

I don't know where you reside...but in my country, the cheapest high impedance preamp is probably Fishman Platinum Stage.

4. If you come from a double bass (DB) background the Yamaha is better.
    You cannot move with the bass as you do with a DB if there is a tripod to hold the instrument.
    For those who need to change from BG to EUB very quickly, a tripod might be helpful, but I find it rather strange to play a stick bass on a tripod and would never buy such a thing for myself.

5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Conversely, as someone who came to EUB via bass guitar and Chapman stick, I find the stick-bass-on-tripod configuration wonderful - I have been contemplating getting the higher-end NS tripod for my NXT and 3D printing an adapter to put my Chapman stick on the one that came with the EUB. I like to move around, but I don't mind dancing around a fixed spot if it means I'm not fighting the bulk of an upright at the same time, and as much as I love the sound of the stick, I hate the damned belt-hook-and-neck-strap scheme.

Zbysek likes this.
  6. Something to think about (and something I also contemplated when purchasing my NXTa):
    Do you really need the 5th string, and how much would you actually use it? A bassist friend who doubles asked me this question, and pointed out that 5 string acoustic double basses are quite a bit less common, and suggested that if/when I wanted to transition to acoustic upright, it would probably make more sense to get the 4-string NXT as it might make the transition a little smoother. He pointed out that unless you're doing a lot of Broadway-style musicals, the 5th string on an acoustic upright probably isn't needed. Even then, most pit bassists don't have a 5, they get an extension on the low E.

I heeded his advice and got the 4-string NXTa, and haven't regretted it for a second... I've never found myself in need of the 5th string on an upright. Unless you really do need the 5th string, it might be something to consider. Maybe finding a good price on an NXT4 would be a little easier than waiting for a 5.

5sg.

equill and Zbysek like this.
  7. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    I use my B string quite often but most of my basses are 5 or 6 string. The only issue for me between a 5 and 4 is that the 5 is much harder to bow on.

Sid Fang and fivestringgecko like this.
  8. I play 5-string electrics pretty much exclusively (an occasional detour on a 6), but I wanted to approach my NXT from a more traditional upright frame of mind... a different instrument than my electrics.

I'm curious: do you use the 5th string just for the more flexible fingering/position options like a 5-string electric allows, or do you need/use the lower notes? If it's the latter, what kind of music are you playing on your NXT?

5sg.

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    I utilize the lower notes. Im currently playing original music, but I used to play in a cover band. My current bands range from jazz, rock, and pop

fivestringgecko likes this.
  10. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    So, don't know if this is allowed, but I have the feeling there is not a lot of foot traffic in the international side of the classifieds.

Anyhoo, I have a set of NS Traditionals for sale, shipped worldwide.

Zbysek likes this.
  11. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    As you're a supporting member selling on an appropriate TB Classifieds forum, I don't think the admins will come down on you for this, though they'd probably prefer to see you do a duplicate posting on the general Apps/Strings/Accessories forum instead.

12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am totally fine with the tripod. I came from bass guitar side, though.

ArtechnikA likes this.
  13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am with ya. I don't miss the fifth string on my NXT4 even though I usually play 5 strings bass guitars.

The sound of NXT is so thick that I don't need the lower notes...

14. That makes 100% sense! My NXT mostly comes out for Real Book jazz combo stuff when playing cocktail hours for wedding gigs... well, it did when there were wedding gigs. lol ... and there isn't much need for those low notes in that setting.

I need to make it a point to get the NXT out and just play more, since there's time without gigs.

If you've got some audio of your original stuff with that NXT5, you should post! It'd be cool to hear what you're doing!

5sg.

Zbysek likes this.
  16. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    We're currently in the process of recording an album that I use the NXT on 3 or 4 songs. My other band just put out our album but I strictly use my Bongo on that (Its prog stuff)

17. Question

Does anyone use polish or dressing for their finger boards???

mine is getting lighter and I haven’t really used anything on it in several years

18. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've used Zymöl Bridge on mine...
    I didn't notice it making anything darker...

fivestringgecko and J R Knots like this.
  19. That sounds like what I need. The fingerboard appears to be loosing the stain and is probably drying out.

Thank you.

20. Timeshift

Timeshift

Dec 22, 2020
    Question

I got my NXT 5 a few years ago. Having played electric bass bass for many years, it really wasn’t much of a struggle to play it.

A year ago I decided that I wanted to learn bow.

I have figured out the grip and can reasonably get an OK sound bowing.

I have watched hundreds of videos and learned a lot of techniques from these.

My problem comes when I cross the strings with bow. Most of the time I make contact with the adjoining strings :(.

In different times, I would probably try to find a teacher but that isn’t on my agenda right now.

I am also a little worried that a teacher might have a lot of bias towards these instruments.

Does anyone have some advice.

I might add I am not trying to play anything real complicated. I have seen some incredible players and that isn’t my goal at all.

I would just like the skills necessary to play scales acrossed the strings from a single position not traveling up and down the fingerboard.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021