NS Designs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1820, Feb 6, 2019.

1. I have been playing bass for many years. See that as I am old!! My main player is a MM Stingray but for my bday my wife got me a NS Designs Wav4 that I had been eyeballing. I really do like this new bass it has a sound that none of my collection even resembles. Even my wife says it’s distinctly different. My ear tells me it sounds a lot like a fretless but I am wondering if any other TBers have tried this bass?

AstralBirth and Feralhog like this.
  2. Brain Fog

Brain Fog

Sep 12, 2017
    Seattle
    I have not played one, but I'd like to hear more about your experience with it.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I had a CR4M years ago. Nice bass but, yes, it did sound too much like my Zon fretless basses to bother with the upright, really.

Jeff---NS-EUB-33.jpg

MateoG78 likes this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Like to try a Wav5 if I can ever find one.

Ooops! Found a couple on Reverb.

Riis

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  5. LenMinNJ

LenMinNJ

Dec 22, 2010
    [Updated 3/6/2019, 1:30 PM]

I recently bought an NS Design WAV5 Radius bass guitar. It was built in Indonesia, in 2016.

I've been playing high quality basses for many years. In comparison, this WAV5 has been somewhat of a let-down.

It has a few features that I really like. I like the idea of having a humbucker and a piezo pickup. I like the way it uses standard strings instead of the bothersome double-ball strings on the old Steinbergers. I like the way the radiused body feels, and I like the shape of the neck.

It's also pretty light weight: 7.4 pounds. In contrast, my Warwick Thumb NT5 weighs 11 pounds. Big difference!

My main complaint is with the electronics/pickups. And then I feel that the overall workmanship is not as good as it should be.

The single passive EMG humbucker pickup hums. The hum gets louder and quieter as I move the bass around. In some positions, the hum is pretty much gone. But in others, it's very noticeable.

Tracking down the cause, I think it's humming because the control cavity itself isn't shielded well enough.

The control cavity cover plate has a foil backing. That's good. It's got a very low resistance so it will probably do a good job shielding, as long as it makes a good connection to the electronics ground.

The cavity itself is painted with conductive paint over the body's wood. The paint is not very conductive. Measured across roughly a quarter-inch, I measured between 50 and 100 Ohms. Across an inch it measured over 200 Ohms. This is not good.

I expect that the hum could be reduced by shielding the cavity with copper foil and grounding the cover to it. At this point I'm not sure that it's worth putting that effort into this bass.

Another notable problem is that if I attack the strings even a little hard, I hear a lot of distortion from both the humbucker and the piezo.

The workmanship on the exterior of the bass is pretty nice. My WAV5 has the matte black finish and it looks fine. All of the hardware is very good quality. The workmanship inside the control cavity is rough. And the control cavity cover feels cheap.

I've been in touch with NS Design, and I may send it back to them to have a look.

I'll update this post when I have news.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    jazzburst77 and Zooberwerx like this.
  6. LenMinNJ

LenMinNJ

Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I had a CR4M for a few years. Very nice bass but I eventually switched to my smaller DIY EUBs, such as this one...

Koa Small 2.jpg

But I still use the NS EUB stand.

8. Dave Zegna

Dave Zegna

Jul 3, 2019
    Ns design bass, Musicman Bongo 5 hh Piezo, Fender AS Jazz CS
    HI! I wrote to Pirastro to have some indications about the better set for my NS design upright NXT bass.. They tell me to prove the Perpetual Set.. I knew the Obligato set for acoustic bass ... Someone have tried Perpetual on these electric basses?

9. Dave Zegna

Dave Zegna

Jul 3, 2019
    Ns design bass, Musicman Bongo 5 hh Piezo, Fender AS Jazz CS
    Nice! You're similar! i've a Bongo MMM 5 string fretted HH and one Fretless HHH with Piezo... My last arrival a NS Design NXT Upright...