1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS EUB megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by FretNoMore, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Hi Folks!

I'm thinking of buying a NS Designs (Steinberger) electric upright bass - the cheaper Czech-built one.

I've read here that some of you have tried or bought these... Would you recommend the 5 string model, or have you found the 4 string to be just as 'versatile'?

I've tried both, and found the 5 to be slightly easier to play (I'm a BG player), but I'll be mostly playing DB lines on it - maybe I won't miss the bottom string?...

Thanks for your help!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I tried both at the Bass centre in London and ended up buying the CR 5 about 2-3 weeks ago!

I suppose I'm used to 5-string bass guitars now and when I was considering, the price difference was so little, as a % of the price that I just thought - why not? ;)

Having played it a lot now - there is nothing like the sound of a low D on the B string it is an awesome experience, which you feel through the floor more than anything else. Much bassier and more fundamental in the note than any Bass guitar I have tried.

Basically I don't see using the B that much but like on BG it is nice to have the option to play a low F at somewhere other than the first position - but I actually think I will use it less than on my BGs where I was using the B string to get more of an EUB sound! ;)

I think the fact of having a 5-string DB is a little bit different and sets it apart from the other EUBs - which I quite like - but there wasn't as much in it as with BG.

For me - the bigger difference was that the magnetic pickups tended to sound more like fretless BG higher up the neck, whereas piezos only and higher action gets closer to a DB sound, so I went for the piezo-only version.

3. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Thanks Bruce...

I was looking at the Steinbergers in the London Bass Centre too! In fact, maybe you cleaned them out of the last one!! ;)

One reason for asking the question is that the Bass Centre won't be getting any more 5 strings for SIX MONTHS!!! Come on Ned, get chiselling :p

I've already got some gigs lined up which I need DB or EUB for, so I'm seriously thinking that maybe I should get a 4 string (which they've still got at the Bass Centre), on the grounds that there's always something better or newer around the corner.

Your advice about the piezo pickup and bridge is useful. My experience of piezo pickups of basses and guitars is that they're usually a bit thin sounding and trebly. I'd assumed that you'd need the mag pickup for warmth...

Incidently, has anyone heard of Mo Clifton's EUBs? He's a London-based luthier with some interesting designs... anybody got one?

Thanks again Bruce!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's OK !

5. Since it seems like kind of a radical departure from the norm of electric double bass building (I mean, magnetic pickups for goodness sake), I was wondering how the Ned Steinberger EUB compares. How does it sound (arco and pizz) and play compared to a standard acoustic instrument, or other electric uprights?

Thanks in advance!!!

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  7. Bruce Lindfield

It doesn't have to have magnetic pickups - mine doesn't - just piezos! I tried both in the shop and decided that I preferred the piezo-only sound, so why pay more for something you won't use?

I think some players who are more associated with rock/pop like the magenetic pickups, but to me - the point is that it sounds different and if I want a magnetic pickup "sound" I can go to my BG.

8. Anyone play or tried the Steinberger Electric Upright? Any reviews to share? Just asking. Thanks in advance for the help.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Yes and Yes!!

Scroll down the DB Basses forum and you will see many reviews/comments!

10. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hi guys - I've got a NS steinberger that I use for my theatre gigs. Most of the music has been pizz with a little bit of arco which the OEM strings have been handling ok.

I have two shows coming up where the ratio of Arco to Pizz is about 90% arco to 10% pizz.

I've swapped the srings to a set of low tension Helicore Hybrids but the arco performance is not as good as the same strings on my CCB Acoustic bass.

Has anyone found a good string for Arco and Pizz on the Steinberger ?

Thanks

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think a string that works well on a DB arco, will work well on a EUB. I had a set of Helicore Hybrids on my Kay at first and had a time getting a respectable arco sound. I switched to Thomastic Spiracore Weichs and it was a world of difference i.e. I didn't have to work as hard with arco with this string.

12. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Thanks Phil - I'll see if my string supplier can get them.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I certainly wouldn't put spirocores on a bass for playing arco. Especially on an EUB.

They are excellent strings. They sound very good played pizzicato, but they tend to sound scratchy when bowed, even more so when they are new. They aren't impossible to bow, but there are other strings out there that are better suited for the purpose.

Also, IME, pickups tend to exaggerate finger noise, board clanking and other things similar, like bowing scratchiness.

I would try a set of Obligatos or Dominants. Something with a smoother, darker tone.

14. I would have to agree...while spiros are amazing for jazz (probably my favorite) they sound awful under the bow ...if you need to ...try a thicker set of helicores...or a set of corellis...theyre dirt cheap...

15. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    WOW!!!!
    I would like to thank all for the excellent info from this site (especially Bruce!), that led me to accidentally end up in the Bass Centre (UK) on Thursday (now how did that happen!).
    Would you believe my luck they had a second hand NS CR5M !!!!!
    well....they dont have it any more! :hyper:

Its GREAT... fantastic sound and so playable.
    And as for all the DB purists who hang here...with all the "its a love thing"...EUB's are rubbish etc etc...Well i disagree.. I LOVE it. :D

PS: If you are around Bruce...any set up tips, etc etc...much appreciated.

Jim

16. Bruce Lindfield

Looks like it's a small club!! ;)

I think they are a god-send for us in the UK with poor availability of instruments and shops - I've bought all my instruments at the Bass Centre!! :)

Anyway - my recommendation would be to get "real" DB strings - I got Pirastro Flexocors - and to raise the action by using the screws on the back, if you want it to sound more DB-like!!

17. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    cheers..
    yes i have put bridge up nice and high... too skint now for new strings!!
    these will do for a few months!!!
    the low B is hard to control it rattles the glass in me windows!!!!
    i dont think i will use the mag pickups much...the sound from the piezos is great.
    anyway my fingers hurt...
    the cat has left home...
    wife has gone nuts...

... I LOVE IT.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I love playing a low D or C on the B string - it really goes through the floor and you feel it rattling things !! :)

19. Congratulations on getting a secondhand NS. String length really does make a difference to the electric bass sound. Check out Eberhard Weber and David Friesen as great electric upright players.

20. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    I love the way (when bass on its stand) if you get a few bars rest (rare as it may be)... you can just walk away from your Bass have a pint....quick fag ...walk up to it again and continue playing!!! :smug:

however i keep forgeting to pull jack out to save battery life!
    Q. how long do the batts last?

shame old Ned didnt include a power on/off switch. ;)

J