1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS EUB megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by FretNoMore, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I bought mine in March 02 and have only chaged the batteries once, as far as I can remember...:meh:

2. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    Q: Strings...

Im not sure what to go for!
    so far Pirastro Jazzers looking good?
    or pirastro Flexocors.

what do you lot think?

(I play pizz...modern jazz - NO BOWING).

3. Has anyone here ever tried NS CRT series EUBs? I would like to know if they really do sound more like a real DB

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I am the proud owner of a CRM4. Very lightly used. It was sitting in a store for a year or so. Love the sound. Sure I would like a real DB but this is a great way to go. Glad to be a memeber of the club.

5. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    Congratulations!
    I love mine.. had it a couple of weeks now... played 1st Jazz quartet gig with it on Fri night... it sounded great! :)

J

6. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I've got a CR-4M and I love it! I don't mind the stock strings that came on it, I've got an acoustic upright for the "acoustic upright" sound. I love the sound of a full scale upright string and the NS has it!

It's just a joy to be able to take my upright bass and bass guitar to a rehearsal or gig in my regular cab pick-up truck when it's raining, and still have room in the cab for my wife! (I bring the bass guitar too, so that she has to sit closer to me!)

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I played a friends' and didn't really like the tone or the feel... no heel in the neck, as I recall. More BG than DB. He replaced it with an Eminence. But, a chacon son gout.

8. Andrew Tanner

Andrew Tanner

Mar 12, 2004
    I played my brand-new CR-4M at a gig in Melbourne last night for the first time, and it was great. Only problem: I've put a set of Spirocore Weichs on, which has improved the sound heaps, but I find the G-string is heaps quieter than the others and tends to get a bit lost amongst the band. Any ideas?
    I'm taking the bass on a European tour April/May and am looking forward not to carry a big bastard around.

9. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    NSD EUB owners and other knowledgable string users: Please help me out with some suggestions. I would like to get another set of strings and compare the sound to the stock NSD strings. Something darker and more woody, if possible. Not gut.

Thomastik Superflexibles?
    Piastro Flexocore?
    Some other?

Thanks,

Mark

10. Did you first search the archives?
    Can you put any standard DB string on that EUB?
    Pirastro Flexocors would definitely give a warmer tone, but you'll loose sustain and maybe also definition.
    Typically, orchestral strings may give you want you want, but it depends how much sustain and clarity you're willing to sacrifice.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Deja vu ...huh!! ;)

So I asked you that exact question about 2 years ago!!

And have been very grateful for the advice! :)

So, I have an NS CR5 and you can put any DB strings on these.

I bought the Pirastro Flexocor Orch.s and noticed a huge step up in quality from the stock strings - especially on the G string.

Much less mwah and much more like an an amplified DB - just what I wanted!!

12. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA

13. Bruce Lindfield

It just says Pirastro Flexocor on the packet - you can use any "normal" strings, (3/4 or 7/8) but I would have thought that half size would be too short?

I must admit that I didn't buy a B string and just bought a 4-string set, as I thought I wouldn't be able to hear the difference and after looking at how expensive 5-string sets are!! :eek:

At the time, I wasn't sure how much difference it would make and it was an expensive risk - now, it's been so successful, I suppose I should get a 'proper' B string as well!! ;)

14. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    ... I put on a set of Superflexibles a couple of days ago and have to say that so far I can't view them as an unqualified improvement. The tone is definitely darker, and the G string sounds less thin and BG like. Like their flatwound BG strings, the windings on these strings are very smooth and comfortable. However, to my ear, the low strings now have too much thud, and more importantly the higher string tension makes the instrument hard to play by a newbie like me. The other pain in the neck thing about using regular DB strings on this EUB is that the way the longer strings mount, you can't get at the batteries without loosening (if you are lucky) or removing at least the A and D strings.

I went with the Superflexibles because I like their BG flatwounds, and since they are so much cheaper than Pirastros, I decided to give them a shot. I think I am going to order a set of Flexocor orchs, and then my set of little used (and uncut) Superflexibles will go to the for sale forum.

15. Bruce Lindfield

I think you get what you pay for - the Pirastros certainly sound as high quality as their price suggests!! ;)

16. If you think the Superflexibles lows have too thud, forget about Flexocors!
    They're much more thuddy than Superflexibles, IMHO.

Since you seem to seek a clear tone, and very easy to play, I'd advise to look at Corelli strings.
    They're very thin, at least in the 370 series (tungsten wound), and available in three gauges. (M, F and TX)
    The TX, although specified as Extra Forte, is still very easy to play.
    The M (medium) is much too floppy for my taste, but you may like them.

It all depends on what sounds too bright or thud for you, and is quite hard for us to judge.

17. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Just put a set of 370Ms on. Perfect! I like the tone, and they are so easy to play that I think I will RAISE my action. Thanks a million, Francois!

18. Another happy customer!
    You made my day, enjoy!
    :)

19. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi...!

I've just got my new CR5-m from NS. Nice bass...

I live in Liverpool and is studying music at Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts.

See ya'll around... :bassist:

20. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys...

I'm on the search for some good strings that would make my NS-Deisgn EUB sound a bit more acoustic.

What do you use on your NS?

I've heard that D'addario should be good...

Thanks a lot... :help: