1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS EUB megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by FretNoMore, Jan 27, 2002.

1. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi Francois!

Ok, listen here... as I wrote before!

BRUCE LINDFIELDS SIGNATURE INCLUDES A QUOTE FROM SOME GUY CALLED OLIVIER!!! AND I MISTAKED BRUCE'S NAME TO BE OLIVIER!

Are you happy now??? :)

2. When someone has turned off showing signatures in his options, like I did, it's not obvious!
    Now that I turned them on, I understand!
    Was it necessary to shout?
    There is also a known TB member named Olivier. (also from France, like the composer in Bruce's signature)
    I assumed you were talking about him, since I had no idea of your signature's content.

Regards,
    François

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Maybe this will inspire somebody to listen to some of Olivier Messiaen's Music - that would make it worthwhile!! :)

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey, I don't actually own one, YET. But I will most likely be putting in my order next week, once I hear back from ye ol' tax man (aka, my CPA). Unfortunately I was told today that NS is shutting down in 2 weeks, for 2 weeks. Year end stuff was what I gathered from the info I got. So I'm looking at 1 1/2 - 2 months before I get it. Just in case anyone's curious, I'm getting one of the new EU6's.

5. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Hello

I'm the proud owner of a Ns Cr5m and happy to play it ! I usually play jazz and latin jazz/salsa and this bass is perfect for this kind of music, anyway a real upright bass couldn't fit in my little french car :p !

and it's funny to see who reacts the crowd when they see the instrument !!!

I m' pleased to be part of this new club on Talkbass ! :hyper:

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I just love my CR4M!
    I just don't know why NS put that kind of strings on their basses? It sounds like crap and I would pay U$60 more for an real DB strings instead.
    I took off the original strings and replaced with Thomastick and I get nothing but compliments!

7. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi again!

Sorry, I didn´t know about the "cancel signatures" option, my fault.

Well, I´ll check out that Olivier guy for sure now. :)

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It's official. I should have my new EU6 by the end of April. WOOHOO! Anyone else here play of of those?

9. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    CR5M here.

I tend to explain the sound as a DB on steroids - maybe most DB bass players would be able to tell which sound was which from an EUB and a DB even if they couldn't see the instrument but by and large the general public can't. If you are in a theatre pit the audience won't know the difference and even if you told them they wouldn't care.

You can get a vague approximation of a DB sound but why would you want to limit yourself when you can have so much more ?

I think the most fun can be had at 'real' gigs when I put it on the shoulder harness and wander round :)

I've got mine strung with a mongrel set of strings at the moment - E/G are D'addario Helicores with the B being a stock NS string as I couldn't fit the Helicore through the hole in the tuning peg. they give a good response to arco and have plenty of sustain in piz.

The one thing it can't do though is rockabilly - there is no resonance in the neck for a good slap !

10. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    Hi Folks,
    Well after reading this thread i bought a set of Pirastro Flexocores for my CR5M...
    YUK! they sound dead as a dodo!!!
    The bass lost all its mwarrr and sustain and was replaced with a dull boom!
    not happy... I next tried a Thomastic spirocore E and A i had floating around...
    they sounded great!
    A more DB sound than the stock but not as dead as the Pirastros.
    however they were 3/4 scale and the windings went over the nut onto the fingerboard!... so i take it i will need a 4/4 set for the NS design???

J

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But that was the very point of buying these - to get rid of the un-natural sustain and mwah!! :p

To make it sound less like a fretless BG a la Jaco - and more like a real DB!! If you don't like how a DB sounds, then I suggest you would be far better off with a decent fretless BG - much easier to play and transport etc. etc. !!

The only other suggestion I would make, is that you need to raise the action and really pull across the strings, as you would a DB, rather than just plucking as you would a BG - you have to put some effort into it (give it some welly!! ;) ) - to get the sound - just buying different strings is not always the solution...:meh:

12. Bruce Lindfield

A PS to Jungle Jim - see above - you were warned!! ;)

13. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    Junglejim- I think it's the Spirocore S42 set you need; also referred to as the "Ray Brown" set (?). Technically a 4/4 set but the lower tension over the 106cm scale on the NS makes for a good fit.

14. According to T-I's website, the S42 set is: 110cm scale, medium gauge.
    Set S42W is also 110cm, but weich (soft) gauge.

15. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    yes.. seemingly a counter-intuitive choice for the NS, but after 1st ordering a std TI 3/4 set and finding them too short as well as too stiff I called Kevin Reynolds at Nordenholtz and came up with the S42's as having the proper length/tension characteristics I was after. And, I did go with the weich. Only a few gigs on them, but I think they're the ones.

16. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    wow...
    Give me some credit i have been playing bass semi-professionals for 20 years!!!
    I have the bridge as high as it will pos go (and thats not high enough!!!)
    i dont see how the pirastros sound like a real DB on th NS?... i couldnt make the pirastros speak at all (except on the G).i like to have the whole spectrum of sounds available depending on how you play it, so if i do dig hard i get a nice mwarr, while keeping a good solid attack with sustain when needed.

I guess this is all personal taste stuff...

17. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    great cheers... these sound like the next ones to try!

(PS may be a set of Pirastros on ebay soon at a good price! :smug: )

so just for thick old me...these the ones?....

Thomastik - spirocore weich(soft) in 4/4 (T - S42)

J

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well - you haven't filled out your profile - so there's no way anybody could know that...?

It's difficult to help people, when they don't do this...:meh:

Well - to me they sound great - much higher quality sound as well as darker ..

I go to Jazz gigs every week and see/hear the best Jazz DB pros in Britain at close quarters - I'm aiming for the sound they get!! :)

As you haven't completed your profile - I don't know what you like or are playing...:meh:

I also don't know what amplification you are using...? :meh:
    So - I've been at Jams etc. where you just have to use whatever amp is there on stage and I know that my NS CR5 sounds very dull and lifeless through amps/cabs aimed at bass guitar - like Trace Elliot, Peavey etc. Whereas, played through my EA VL208 cab it really comes to life! :)

So it may not just be the strings?

Which set up/strings are you talking about there...?

19. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    OK...
    Thanks Bruce point taken... :bag:

will fill out the profile when i get time...

What other strings have you tested with your NS???

J

20. You can post an ad in the [DB]For sale forum first.
    Ebay links are forbidden here though!
    S42 = medium
    S42W = weich (soft)