1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NSStick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone play one?

Who sells 'em?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    They're not easy to get hold of. There are people who have been waiting years for them.

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Does anyone else make something similar? Seems like a very cool concept.

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  5. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yep, that's me.

I agree the chapman stick looks like fun. However, I bought one a few years ago and disliked the symetrical tuning. I told Emmit about 10 years ago that he should make an 8 or 10 string bass version. I'm surprised that it's still not an option other than the NSStick.

6. wyrtti

wyrtti

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Actually, Stick Enterprises manufactures an 8-string Stick, called the Bass Stick, as well as the NS/Stick. Both seem very interesting. They also have a new bass-tuning available for the 10-strings...with one side as a bass in fourths like a "normal" bass and the other bass-side tuned in fifths.

I owned a 10-string Stick for a couple of years, but could never really get the feel of the standard tuning and especially the bass side in fifths. I loved the tone.

I also had an Austin Douglas 10-string for a few months but traded it away too, for the same reason. Just had to try it one more time. You might want to look at Warr Guitars or Austin Douglas Guitars, if you're looking for a Stick-like made-for-tapping 8-string.

The manufacturers' web sites:
    http://www.stick.com
    http://www.warrguitars.com
    http://www.austindouglasguitars.com

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You've way more experience with them than I do. Can they not be tuned as per a "regular" ten string bass?

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You don't have to tune it in 5ths right? You can pretty much tune it however you want.

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The one I had could not be retuned due to the bridge placement. However, you could order it made special or send it back to Emmit for reworking but there was a considerable wait time if memory serves correctly...

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have an NS CR5 EUB that everybody calls my "stick" bass.....?

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Yep. I've been on the waiting list for over 18 mos. Every fwe months, I e-mail them to be sure they're still alive and that my name remains on the list-- they are, and it is.

I got a message a couple of months ago asking me to select finish color, but nothing since then.:meh:

12. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    You ever consider any of the alternatives?

13. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Naah. I'm in no hurry really, and the demand for the NS is such that if I don't like it I can easily resell it for full retail.

14. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I didn't mean in that regard. I was just wondering if you tried the alternatives.

15. GregHolmes

GregHolmes

Mar 3, 2006
    Niagara, Ontario
    Dealer of: BassLab, Eminence, Acoustic Image, MIDIjet
    I play the NS/Stick. Pretty good price for a production 8-string (even though I got mine when the exchange rate was nasty). There's a lot of flexibility in playing styles. Stereo output is good, to separate the bass and treble sides. The narrow string spacing is not difficult to handle, and if you have any classical guitar background you'll have no problem. I'd like a bit more tonal control from the on-board EQ, and maybe the alder/wenge isn't quite what I'm looking for, but it does sound more than good enough when played through full-range amps and cabs.