1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NXT-5 D'Addario Traditionals B-String through-hole size

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ArtechnikA, Apr 6, 2015.

1. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Swapping out the Contemporaries that came on my NXT-5 with D-Addario Traditionals.
    The ball-end silk on a few of the holes was pretty snug but the string could be pulled through without drama or trauma.
    B, however, is no-go. The peg end was quite snug and none of the ball-end silk will fit.
    I can measure the silk and drill the hole bigger without issue, but if there's already a "right answer" for the appropriate size, I'd be glad to know it.
    If there isn't already one, I'll post my results tomorrow.
    I have or can get any size needed - "English fractional," number, letter. metric - whatever.

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Update:
    I measured the ball-end silk at 0.205"
    13/64" drill bit on hand is 0.203" - perfect.
    Carefully drilled out the hole and discovered it's backed with a washer, which I should have expected...
    It's way too small too.
    Replaced it with a stainless 6mm flat washer from my stock.
    Used a standard large 60ยบ countersink to flare the new hole.
    Everything fits great now!

TL;DR:
    13/64" drill and 6mm backing washer

Bellbass and Mark Gollihur like this.