Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OBP-2?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by j-raj, Mar 14, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find a thread on it...

Has anyone tried the new 2-band boost/cut pre from Aguilar?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have one in on of my personal basses and I built one for David Wilson one of the 2 5 strings I built for him.

I really like it. I generally play flat would boost The Sadowsky or OBP-1 slightly. What I like about the OBP-2 is that I can cut the treble if needed. Usually, when I play with a pick I roll the treble off. I was in a rehearsal studio a few weeks ago that has a GK rig and it was so bright, I cut the treble even fingerstyle.

Again, I tend to boost the treble and bass slightly when needed. If you're someone that like to pin the preamp, the bass is a little boomier then the OBP-1. I think the treble may sound about the same but off the top of my head, I don't remember.

3. It seems like the OB-2 is a bad idea IMO. From what I understand, it's identical to the OB-3 without the mid control. Both the OB-2 and OB-3 have very, very high center treble points (6.5K!!!! vs. the more standard 4K of the OB-1). It works well with the OB-3, because there's so much sound in the mid control, and you can switch the mids higher or lower to 'fill in some space' if needed.

However... there seems to be so much frequency space between the bass control and the treble control on the OB-2 as to be a problem IMO.

Also, as Nino mentions, the high treble freq is nice if you tend to cut treble more than boost... since it's so high as to not thin out the upper mids. If you like some zing in your slap, IMO the treble freq of the OB-1 is more appropriate (IMO, as always).

If you want a cut and boost, I'd highly recommend the OB-3. I can't quite picture the OB-3 without the mids!

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Specs on paper are one think and ears are another. My ears are telling me "I like it".

Taken fron this thread:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230140

5. +1 That's why I had the 'IMO's all over my post. However... what would be the advantage of the OB-2 over the OB-3... seems like you are only 'losing' something, and not gaining anything. I guess if you didn't want the extra knob or didn't have room it might make sense. But otherwise, seems like the OB-3 is a much better option... you get everything in the OB-2 + the switchable mids... for just a few more dollars :confused:

Also... again, if you are a treble 'booster', that 6.5K is very sizzly and hi fi sounding to me. If you like that sound, it's cool.. but it seems to be right in that area where the ride cymbal sits... the more traditional 4K of the Sadowsky and OB-1 just punches through a little better.

Again... just something for the thread originator to consider.

K

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I hate mids. IMO. ;), they're useless. Any bass I ever had with mids, the mid control was set flat. With the mid control set flat, the switches don't work. :) IMO, waste of money.

7. You haven't played an MTD:D

I understand what you are saying though... I don't think I ever touched the mids on my Fodera.

However, I would like that OB-2 MUCH better if they would have set the treble center freq at 4K vs. that strange 6.5k sizzle thing (and I actually like sizzle). To me, the OB-1 or Sadowsky with a passive tone control is perfect... but I have a feeling you know that better than most:D

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I've played a couple of MTD's. At the last NYC GTG I think there were 3 or 4.
    Mike D's
    [​IMG]

Dave W's
    [​IMG]

I forgot who this belonged to:
    [​IMG]

Ummmm.... GAS!!!!!

(When I played them the mid was clicked in the center. :D)

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As Nino quoted, I like 'em. I'm rarely boosting treble, more than likely cutting it to take some sizzle off.

They still have the same issue that Aguilar preamps have in general - when you start to boost bass, it sounds like it goes from 0 to 4 out of 10 on the scale immediately.

10. +1... if you mainly cut, that very high 6.5K frequency is very nice.... takes the sizzle out without trashing the upper mids. If you tend to boost treble and don't want a super hi fi sound, the OB-1 would be a good choice.