1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OD that doesn't rob bottom end

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Hey guys/gals... here's my situation:

I have been running my Tech 21 VT Deluxe preamp in front of my Mesa Subway D-800. I regularly run that amp through a Subway 112 and 115, combined. I have tried many different settings and applications to avoid my limit light illuminating and nothing seems to work. The indicator light is flashing more often than I would like and I don't want to risk damaging the amp and/or drivers.

So, I was wondering if anyone could suggest an OD pedal that adds some SVT-like grind. I understand that nobody will achieve a true SVT tone unless they'reusing an SVT. Just something that respectfully represents that type of tone.

I am sure there will be innumerable responses/suggestions and that's ok.

In closing... are there OD pedals available that wouldn't slam the front end of my amp as hard as the VT Bass Deluxe?

Thanks for any and all of direction :thumbsup:

2. lyonaudio

lyonaudio

Apr 16, 2019
    France
    Boss OD-3?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Broughton SV-PRE
    Sushi Box Slampegg

Both are exactly what you describe, but take a little effort to obtain.

Master Effects Super 300 should work as well, but I have not used that one.

Matt Dean and macmanlou like this.
  4. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    The best bass over drive that I've found so far is the Source Audio Aftershock. You wouldn't know it's digital with it's 56bit architecture.

5. I have been doing a little research and that one seems to be pretty popular. Thanks.

6. Broughton makes great stuff. I have the HPF. It's a little pricey but my birthday is coming up in August. Thanks!

dasherf17 and macmanlou like this.
  7. Thanks... I'll check it out.

8. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I’m a huge fan of the Aguilar Agro. Lower the Contour and it keeps the low end wonderfully at all Saturation levels

MynameisMe likes this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Agree with @mmbongo the PAX or Slampegg or other, Sushi does a nice job with gritty OD that is pretty natural.

If you're asking about a straight OD pedal that works great with bass I love Spaceman Apollo VII and I love Wampler Pantheon. Everything Wampler makes works very well with bass because of the EQ points and/or Baxandall, he has a handful of really smooth ODs. I also agree that Source Aftershock or other SA products do very well. But you need to be cool spending the time to learn how to use them, then it's worth it.

10. Very cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into this.

11. Thanks. I'll look into the Wampler pedals also.

12. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    ebs valve drive

Loring and drumvsbass like this.
  13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Are you sure you are hitting the limiter light on the D800? You might just be hitting the O/D light on the D800. That means you are engaging the emulated tube drive of the head. You should be able to drop the volume of the VT Deluxe and not have issues. Double check what light is coming on.

14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Choad Blaster. It has controls for the high crunch and low crunch.

Kawai2g4b likes this.
  15. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    What happens when you turn down the level knob on the Tech 21?

HolmeBass, drumvsbass, rzero and 4 others like this.
  16. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    If you made that up, it's hilarious.

If you DIDN'T make that up, it's hilarious.

adunnus, 31HZ, mmon77 and 3 others like this.
  17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Kevin Henretta out of the Twin Cities metro area makes killer stuff... and yes, the Choad Blaster is one of his masterpieces. It's a mix of a dirt, fuzz and overdrive... controls for the low drive and the high drive... and yeah, it sounds great with bass.

And if you need a g-rated version, he sells the same pickup with different graphics that read "Chord Blaster"... no lie. :D

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.09.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.08.55 PM.png

adunnus, BOOG, 31HZ and 4 others like this.
  18. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Timmy?

19. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Anything with a blend.

20. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Xotic BB FTW on this challenge.

JES and Lowbrow like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021