odd food question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Antipop, Apr 10, 2004.

1. ok, if you have a block of steak and cut it in two, you get invisable shavings right? say it measures 1' x 1' and you cut it in half, your pieces may only be 63/128" x 63/128" the rest gets so small you can't see it all

if so, you understand that the pieces are always getting smaller and "losing" some material as in you can't see it

is it possible to cut it up so much that the human eye cannot find a trace of it?

btw, Im not on drugs, Iv been wondering this for years. sad really
  2. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    This is a very odd thread indeed.

Cutting steak usually involves slicing, with a sharp blade seperating the meat along the grain or severing it against the grain. I don't think you really lose meat in the process...

If you cut the meat with something like a saw (e.g., something that rips through material and has a kerf) you would generate some sawdust and the two parts would be a little smaller than half the size. Eventually you could cut it completely into sawdust.

[So, if you had a 1" piece of something and carefully sawed at it with a 1/16" wide blade, in as few as 16 slices the material would be utterly transformed]
  3. see that was what I was thinking... but if you cut the shaving more and more... would it become beyond our naked sight?
  4. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Outdoors, on a breezy day, with a very thin saw blade, correct lighting and a lot of time? Probably possible.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Theoritically yes. But in practice you would not be able to hold the slice to cut it. Remember: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they aren't.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok Emo Phillips, no more pudding.

7. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, could you find a knife that was small enough to cut it into small enough pieces? Would you use a laser?

Kind of reminds me of the Itchy and Scratchy where they ripped off Fantaisa.
  8. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    man! cast disintigrate on it!

or not...
  9. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Technically you can cut anything into pieces too small to see whether you lose some material in the process or not.

10. May want to add a steady hand and no caffiene to that list. Those pieces get too small, next thing you know you're adding a finger or two to the whole mess and ya gotta start all over again. :D

It is possible to reduce a material to the point that it essentially doesn't exist, though that point depends on the material, how it's diluted and the criteria for determining when it is "gone".

I have no idea how I know this. Just another bit of data trapped in my head since college.

11. I also have wondered this! Im not the only wierd kid on TB!
  12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Why would you want to turn an expensive slice of meat like a steak into nothing?!
  13. as the others have said yes, you can BUT, the knives' blade would have to get smaller as well, because once its small the blade would just be smashing it, so you would have to get a thinner and thinner and thinner blade... or:

you could cook up the steak, put some BBQ sauce on it and eat it :)