1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Aqua Danelectro Dano 63 Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fresh Eddie, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    It seems as though a lot of us have picked up the Dano 63 long scale bass... especially in Aqua. If anyone wants to be in the club, post a pic below! Since we all got such a good deal, I feel as though we should all be number 1... what do you think?

I guess black and redburst people can join too. :)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's mine! Looks a lot like yours! ;)

[​IMG]

3. Why just aqua. Exclusive.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well for one, in the threads about this bass it seemed like nearly everyone said they wanted or bought the aqua; and for another, he said the other colors could join too. :)

5. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    yea, I have a black one. Got something against black Dano '63s?

6. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Nope, the black ones are pretty cool looking too... I just noticed a lot of people were buying the Aqua, so I thought it would be funny to start a club with everyone having the same color and model bass.

The other colors are welcome to join too, though! :)

7. Cool!!!

[​IMG]

8. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I think you have to be a bit wacky to play a Dano 63, especially in Aqua!

dano63-and-fez-small.

9. How are these to play? Does anybody gig with these? Might be fun to pick up...

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    LOL! That's a great pic.

11. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I'm giggin mine this weekend for the first time, I'll let you know.

And mine is aqua too -- I'll post a pic later but let me in the damn club for now! :D:bassist:

12. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I just got mine, so I haven't played it out yet, but they play really nicely. They are light enough that the whole body resonates.

13. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I've taken mine to some blues jams. People bring all kinds of basses -- Fender, MusicMan, Rics.. -- but I always get comments on how great the Dano sounds, in addition to how cool it looks.

14. It took me a little while to get adjusted to it. Normally I would've sold it, but it just sounds so damn good.

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The neck dives like crazy, so you have to rest your right arm on the body to keep it in position. It's partly because the body is so light compared to the neck, and partly because of the location of the top strap button. I'm trying to figure out a way to DIY a bracket that would attach to the back of the top horn for the purpose of extending the top strap button way up where it belongs by the 12th fret. That would help the dive and fix the long reach to the outer frets.

16. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

That would be nice -- the reaching messes me up, I keep unintentionally navigating the neck a full step too high because it's so much further out than normal (like the Fenders and Rics I usually play).

17. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I've got an Aqua on the way!

18. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    i recieved and played my aqua 63 for the entire gig last night. Mine would neck dive if I let go of it, but the bass is so light that i never noticed it while playing.

The bass sounds and plays very good and did not need really need any setup put of the box

I was suprised at the painted neck, and that all of the hardware was satin finished and not chrome. Also suprised that the paint was matte finished and not glossy...

I'm wondering what kinda stings they put on these. They feel like Roto's to me, and don't sound bad. Seemend to be fairly high tension. But i think i'll change them out to one of my standard string choices, assuming that the will fit the tuners.

IMG_1083.

19. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I posted this same info in the Strings forum, under a thread about what strings to put on a Dano 63:

I have a Dano 63 and a Danelectro Hodad, both 34" basses. The Dano 63 has the stock strings and the Hodad has some Rotosounds from the previous owner. I want to replace the Rotosounds so I contacted Danelectro to find out what they ship on their basses. I actually am interested in trying flats on the Hodad, so I'll have more variation between the 2 basses. I had heard that the holes on the tuners are small and might not fit all string brands, so I asked them about it.

Here's what they told me:
    "The D'Addario 50 thru 105 round wound set is the set used on both these basses. We assume that the D'Addario flat wounds would be the same size at the tuner end and will fit. The guitar tech says most guys he knows use flatwounds on their Dano's so the D'Addario's should be good for you. You need to get strings that fit a 34" scale bass."

I hope this helps.

20. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    yep, now I'm pretty sure they are D'Adarrios...not my favorite string. Thanks for the info.