1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChopperDave, Oct 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    For those of us [DEL]cheap[/DEL] [DEL]patient[/DEL] lucky enough to have the new VMVI. I'll give out #s, just make sure you supply your pics!

Attached Files:

• VI.
      VI.jpg
      File size:
      216.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I also encourage uploading of tunes that feature your VMBVI. This has the potential to be a very useful and interesting tool and I'm excited to hear how we're all using this to make our music better!

Flad likes this.
  3. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz.

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in. Got my VI earlier this week via Sweetwater. Loving it so far! It's handled a batter of fuzz assaults pretty well. I'll post pix laters after work.

4. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Pelham Bleu: #2!

5. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    IMG_0852_zpsbde2510d.

Here it be. So far, it's been pretty fun to play. For a "bassier" sound, I have the neck and mid pups on, bridge pickup either on or off and the strangle switch off. For a "guitarier" sound, I have the neck pup off, mid and bridge pups on and the strangle switch on. Sounds pretty cool clean, sounds great with a Fender Sublime Fuzz or a Turbo Rat. I don't think it'd ever be a "main" bass for me because it just seems to lack a little low end beef, but I think the novelty factor alone will keep it in the rotation.

Mike.C. likes this.
  6. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Looks nice. I was able to try mine through my 700RB-ii and Ampeg SVT-15en, and I like it a lot. It's still weird, like a nice hybrid, but in the right band it has a place for sure. Here's hoping my band is one of them!

7. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I've had mine (Olympic White) for a few weeks now, and I am totally digging it. I've been meaning to do a proper review, so hopefully I'll get one done soon.

8. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I'll upload a pic when I get home.

9. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Looking forward to it!

halfjackson: #3

10. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    as soon as mine gets here, I'm in!!

11. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    *bump* (I know there are more of us ... lurking ... or maybe we're at home with our VIs, concocting ... plotting ...)

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Came in the other day.

[​IMG]

I've been playing it at home mostly but I finally got a chance to bring mine out to my rehearsal space and play it through the big rig (ran with the V4/8x10).

[​IMG]

Definitely had a lot more low end than I was expecting after having played it at home mostly through a guitar amp. We were running a bunch of cover tunes for a halloween show this week so I'm still not sure if I can work it in for some of our original material, but by the end of practice my bandmates had forgotten I wasn't playing a regular bass. The VI certainly held its own there. Playability wise the string spacing will take some getting used to. As far as effects, it seems to work fairly well with most of my effects. The distortion tones can be hard to work with as they can cut some low end out and leave things a little thin in a way that wouldn't be as much of a problem on a standard bass.

13. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA

Hey, #4

Sweeeeeeet rig ...

And yeah, I'm surprised at the low end, too. I've been working on it primarily with a new song that we haven't totally nailed down yet, arrangement-wise, and I'm liking the ability to go from fat bottom to mid-y arpeggio bits. It's an adjustment, though ... If I get it down and we record it with good-enough quality I'll be sure to post it.

I worked on the intonation today. That low E is a PITA. I had to switch the bridge around as some others have suggested. That pretty much did the trick.

14. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I may have to do this, too. I've noticed the E is a little off.

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Did the trick for me as well. Certainly took some work to get the intonation perfect but a bit of that was the stupid tuner I had at home (guitar and bass specific ranged but no chromatic range so it kept reading all over the place). I might have to go back and shim the neck as well, action is a little low on the nut end and high on the body end with the neck straight.

16. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Hey y'all, I got my Squier Bass VI about a month ago (I hope that everyone that's waiting gets theirs sooner than later) and have been meaning to do a review. For all of those who are only interested in an abridged review and pic, it is as follows: I am totally stoked on this instrument! Right off the bat I was digging it, and after a month I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.

IMG_20131014_161730480x640.

Okay, now for some long-winded details. (I plan on posting this in other Bass VI threads, not because I think that it's an important review or anything, but in the unlikely event that something in here might actually help someone. I suppose that I should put this in the Reviews section, eh?)

* First things first (and a little about myself, so you have an idea where this is coming from). I am not a guitarist. I've screwed around on guitar and even learned a couple of easy tunes, but my experience is very limited. I haven't even picked one up in years. I think that this is worth noting because although the Bass VI is a bass, it very much plays like a guitar. And let's face it, it wasn't designed for bass players. Those who (also) play guitar will have an advantage. That being said, I wouldn't discourage any non-guitarists from getting one of these hybrids. Personally, I didn't even know they existed until a couple of months ago, when I saw a guy play the hell out of one (his name is Mike Rossi and plays for Donkilo! Afro Funk Orchestra (http://afrofunknh.com/). Super nice guy. He built his from a kit some time ago, and incidentally, he may just have the best live P Bass tone that I've ever heard too). I immediately became fascinated with the Bass VI and had many ideas/visions of how I would employ it. Funny, I've always joked that I would take a month or two someday to learn guitar, because there are some things that I'd like to do on one. The Bass VI will do pretty much all of those things.

*Upon delivery, somethings that I noticed: The build was pretty solid, and not just for the price. The (Olympic White) paint wasn't without its blemishes, as there are a few tiny pits in it. I'm not sweating them though; I think that this bass is gorgeous, even including the less than superlative tort guard. Everything seemed to be in good order, except...

*Strings: Anyone that's spent ten seconds on any threads about the Bass VI will know that strings have been a major topic. Mine were okay, except of course, the low "E" and the "A". Mine came with a .084/.085 on the "E", which is just way too floppy. After searching many threads, including one on Offsetguitars.com, I decided to order an array of single strings of varying gauges from Circle K Strings. Talk to Skip over there if you're interested. He was helpful to me, was working on some complete sets, and has his own Squier Bass VI. After some experimenting, I settled on his recommended set of: (BVI-102 - 102, 76, 57, 43, 33, 23p. I tried an unwrapped 22 for a high "E", and although it could manage some wicked bends, it didn't feel or play to my liking otherwise. To be revisited. I may even go up to 34, 24 for the "B" and high "E" respectively. I'd like to eventually try flats, but for now I'm satisfied. In regards to the low "E", I think it'd be okay with an .095, but anything less will be too floppy. Also, Be prepared to do some work/filing to the nut when you go up to the higher gauges. I've never done that kind of work, but it was easy.

*Intonation+: I haven't had the difficulty that others have reported. Flip the bridge around 180 degrees if you have any trouble, most notable with the low "E". You'll also have to work on the setup a bit too, but it's all pretty basic. I've been really impressed with how well this thing stays in tune, and I love to bend the &$!# out of the strings. I haven't really messed around with the tremolo/whammy/whatever bar though, so we'll see how it responds to that. Hmm...I need to start messing around with the tremolo/whammy/whatever bar. For those that are keeping score at home, I have no complaints about the tuning pegs.

*Weight/Balance: The Bass VI isn't light, but it balances extremely well on a strap for me. It stays right where I leave it, as much as any bass that I've ever owned. This makes it very comfy to me. Weight is definitely a factor for me in basses, but I find that a well balanced bass is much more important, and can negate the negative effects of a heavy bass.

*Pickups/electronics: I like the setup. Three pups with switches gives you seven tonal variations (plus a tone control). And the strangle switch lives up to its moniker; it really cuts the bass quite a bit. I guess down the road I may look to replace some of the electronics, but for now it's all fine. I'll be interested in seeing what mods people do to this instrument.

*Playability and what have you: I like it with a pick, but you can absolutely play fingerstyle. Like Ed Friedland said in his showcase for the Eastwood Sidejack VI, you can pretty much get used to anything. Open chords sound better than I expected, but 2, 3 and 4 note chords up the neck is where this bass really shines. Like I said, I don't play guitar, but I do have knowledge in chords/theory, which certainly has helped. Also, I bought a couple of chord/guitar books to get me more familiar with that aspect and it is going well. I think that devoting some of your study/practice/approach this way will help out the non-guitarists out there. That's my plan anyway. Also, playing leads; muted picking (sorry JimmyM ;) ); and good 'ol bass playing and grooving, is fantastic! :bassist: (I need to wrap this up; I'm starting to use the smilies.) Seriously though, it's an absolute blast to play, and it is the antithesis of a one trick pony. And lastly...

*Effects: The Bass VI in my opinion, is just begging to played with effects, and has single-handedly staved off some of my pedals from being sold...for the time being. Add a little overdrive and this thing screams, and I don't even have a proper fuzz pedal! For now, I'm glad that I've kept my Tech 21 Bass Deluxe, dedicating the 3 presets on the B channel to my Bass VI. Fuzz coming soon. An octave and/or some EQ'ing can really plump it up. The first pedal that I bought with this bass in mind was a SA Soundblox® 2 Dimension Reverb, and I'm very happy with it. So get in there and get your hands dirty with your effects on this thing. And lastly, for real...

I'm really interested in seeing how people play and use their Bass VI. I think it can make for a great writing tool, or a great instrument to play with a band. I don't see me getting much use out of it with my main band, but I've been playing it with an old drummer friend of mine that I've always wanted to start an original project with. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to keep my responses concise. :rollno: (Doh!).

17. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Great review! I second most of that, though I'm still not totally satisfied with my Low E intonation. While flipping the bridge helped some, it's still not quite there, and flipping it makes the screws more difficult to access.

18. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Thanks, man. I agree with you about the low "E". People should definitely know going in that it will require some work and patience to get it properly set up and intonated, and even then you might need a little bit of the "Eh, good enough for now" attitude.

19. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I've definitely been using the "good enough for attitude" regarding my E string. Like many others, I've found it very loose and the intonation to be slightly off. For now I'm making up for it by running my VI through plenty of fuzz.

20. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Not an owner, but I have been intrigued with the Bass VI concept for years. The 30" scale and 6 strings seems to me like the perfect crossover between a bass and a baritone guitar.

One of the things I never quite understood is the whammy bar. I consider myself a bassist, but I play the guitar, too, but to date I have never had a whammy/vib/trem arm on any of my guitars and I haven't missed it.

I look forward to discover more about the uses for this instrument. I may very well get one some day, and hope to follow this thread even if I am no member.

Gully Foyle likes this.