oh man

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vindy500, Aug 20, 2005.

1. so our kids band thing are playing at morning service, i got this slap solo coming up and plut goes my a string. man that sucked lol
  2. Woah....that does suck. What you do for it to get that pissed at you?
  3. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    wow...just wow...
  4. i use to break so many strings when i first started out. like 8 strings in my first 2 years, looking back i think i need to get new saddles on my samick
  5. saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    lol. I never had that problem. Although I did feel like an idiot when I bought my first 5 string. I though it was tuned EADGC, not BEADG. :bag: I was new, I had only been playing for a few months (like 2 or 3). But shh. I've never told that story before cause I found it kinda embarrassing. Well, not really, it's more that I never had anybody to tell and then I forgot all about it. lol
  6. when i first got my bass my brother took it to jam with his friend who plays guitar. they broke the e string trying to tune it to the same as the guitars e string.
  7. saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    HAHAHA. Really? That makes me feel better about my 5-string experience.
  8. yeah we both started learning at the same time. heck it was the first time i had ever touched a bass....
  9. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    thank god for the internet anymore .. been playing for 3 months here .. already have a 5 string .. and I know how to tune it :)

10. :D well ive been on this forum for a few years and am still to get a 5 string
  11. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Been playing about 3 years now, first 2 and a half were just 4 string, but now I got a 5 too :)
  12. Something like that happened when I worked at a guitar shop. This guy brought in his Dean ABG five string, and was complaining that the neck was really bowed and that it was really hard to play. I took one look at it and asked how he had it tuned. Sure enough, it was tuned EADGC. When I tuned it BEADG, the neck had so much backwards bow that I had to crank the truss rod to the point where I was afraid to move it anymore, and THEN put on a set of heavy-guage flatwound strings just to pull it somewhere near straight.

On a related note, I also initially thought that five strings were normally tuned EADGC, but I figured that out before I actually bought one. ;)
  13. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    perhaps it was god telling you he doesn't like slap solos?
  14. Reminds me of the time just after I bought my bass. I went to try and play it for the first time, and I assumed it was in tune. I went to play and naturally sounded horrendous. I went about this for about 20 or so minutes and was about to give in and then one of our dorm's porters came in to see how I was doing. He then did me a MASSIVE favour by tuning it. Turns out that out of the three porters on that night, the one who came to the music practice room was a a guitarist.:D :bassist:
  15. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas

I've never (knocks wood) broken a string. But I saw a friend get hit in the face and cut with one when his broke. Missed his eye by about an inch. {{{shudder!}}}

"You'll put your eye out, kid!"

Cherie :bassist:
  16. ahh ok, mine just had the core break so it went floppy and unplayable, not a complete break through
  17. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh, so the core came apart on you? Eww! Its almost worse, because the audience doesn't understand what's happening.

But not really worse, 'cause if it had broken all the way, it could have really hurt you. I'm very glad it didn't!

After seeing my friend come so close to losing an eye, I check my strings before every show, just in case.

18. haha well i pulled it out of the tuning peg cos otherwise it gets in the way o the s tring, so it was just hanging from the bridge, i got few comments after lol
  19. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Gave your bass some catfish whiskers, huh? :D

Cherie :)
  20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've only broken a string in a live setting once... It was also an "a"...