1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh what the hell?!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bass., Mar 5, 2010.

1. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Is it really so hard?

is it Really.... so hard to take the sound that you make acoustically and amplify it?!

All I want to do is make the sound my bass produces louder

How can it be that hard?! I play acoustically and I've developed a decent sound, not a great sound but something I can be happy with. I have a markbass cmd121p which sounds Amazing with my lakland 5594 but when I plug in my acoustic and try to get anything louder than a little Push it sounds like crap... Ive worked with it for Hours on end which eventually turns into days and only leads to frustration

it sounds hollow, and has too much midrange. Im using a realist and I have a "schroeder" upright with a carved deck with some old velvet garbo strings.

Any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong?

What can I do right..

I dont' want to spend a million dollars but I need something to make it sound "decent"!

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    The first thing you did wrong was selecting a username similar to mine! That username was already taken, so you add a period? C'mon.

You wouldn't want to be mistaken for me, would you?

3. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Haha! My original intention was to put the period!

you know.....

as though BASS was it... period... end of discussion

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I have only a little experience with acoustic basses, and was never able to get a great sound from it (it wasnt mine). I would suggest maybe adding an eq pedal for your acoustic playing, so you can have a set eq just for your acoustic bass, since your amp already sounds good with your electric.

5. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Man, I really hate acoustic basses. Haven't heard one I think sounds any better than a good electric for any application. If you must go there, get an upright!!!

6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    You need something like a Fishman Dual Parametric EQ. Then you can take out the rude non-nice frequencies that plague acoustic instruments and leave the warm ones intact.

7. That's exactly what he's talking about...
    We're on the DB side, no?

8. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Heard great things about the Markbass amps but their input impedance is low for a piezo pup...Try the little box from FDEK to get the impedance matched between the piezo pickup and the BG guitar amp.

9. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    I have one..
    That's what we're talking about

10. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Yeah man markbass is killer

everytime I've plugged into a gk though it sound a bit better... even their lower end stuff

Is it that they're just voiced more for that?

11. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    +1 on the impedance matching issues with Markbass, and most other EB amps. I

BTW, it's never going to sound just like your acoustic tone. It is always a compromise of one form or another.

Have you looked into any bass mic systems? The good ones are very expensive, but for mid-volume settings, nothing beats a mic.

12. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Ive never looked into a serious mic system.

I used a dynamic mic once that sounded horrible fed back like crazy before it was loud enough...

what kind of mics are generally recommended?

13. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I shared a bass with a guy who insisted to mic as follows:

Take a microphone; wrap it in a towel; shove the wrapped mic between the bass and the tailpiece.

I have a pretty nice pickup on my bass and it sounded better than my bass/pickup configuration. That could just mean that his bass sounds better all round, of course.

One bit of a warning: As the night went on the mic got loose and we had to take turns holding it in while the other person played. Very obnoxious, not worth the trouble.

If you decide to go this route, make sure you can get it wedged in there proper.

14. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I've had a sound guy try this "wedge technique" on me. I'm not a big fan.

Eric Revis, Branford Marsalis group, points a regular diaphram mic at his f-hole and sounds pretty killer. Patitucci and Rufus Reed use the AMT mic. That's what I'm saving up for.

You have to have a reasonable drummer. If it's a loud drummer, forget about it, the mic will never get enough volume without feedback.

15. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    4125846991_6d7c8fd6bf_m.jpg

16. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    yes! thank you fingers for the visual aid!

my markbass has an xlr input ill try it with a couple of mics I have lying around

edit:
    OK tried the mic situation!!

with a random cheap audio technica... worlds better!!
    oh man. I can get to the volume where I know Ill need to be and no feedback and a much nicer midrange!

I think a big part of it was the impedence matching as Paperback brought up.. even an inexpensive mic with proper
    matching sounds pretty decent Ill ahve to look into either the fishman eq or the fdek

thanks gents!

17. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Which model is that?

18. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Now I haven't seen Rufus live in quite a while but, according to Chris Fitzgerald he is using the DPA 4099 now. T Bal just traded an AMT in the Talkbass classifieds. There have been several for sale there for very reasonable prices recently.

Ric

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    BASSPERIOD - what size speaker are you using?

20. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    that is indeed not so smart. Maybe Bassperiod should change his name to avoid confusion.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020