1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ohmage Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndroWal, Sep 28, 2003.

1. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I am using an Eden World Tour with old SWR Goliaths that are loaded with Eden Speakers. They are 8 ohm cabs...I am going to purchase an Epifani...wanted the 310, but the ohmage is 5.3 and does not match the 8 ohm output of my Eden World Tour...

What resulting problems might occur with usage?

If there are real ones, I can purchase the Ultralight 4x10 from Epifani.

Thanks for any responses.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I think the Eden will go down to 4 ohms (it should say right on the back of the amp "minimum rated impedance", so whatever that value is I wouldn't go below that). But for a solid state amp, you can use anything "at or above" the minimum rated impedance, so if the Eden will handle 4 ohms then a 5.3 ohm cab will be fine. The only thing that will be affected by the differing impedance is the maximum amount of power being delivered to the speakers. At 5.3 ohms, the amp will pump out slightly less power than with a 4 ohm cab, and slightly more power than with an 8 ohm cab.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually Eden WT amps can only handle 8 ohms when bridged. Run that 3x10 while it's bridged, the amp will draw excessive current and overheat. What happens next depends on the amp, some shut down to protect themselves, others blow and start bellowing smoke everywhere. Don't do it.

However, the Eden can take 4 ohms per side when used in stereo mode. So you could run the 3x10 from one side only and it will be OK. Of course this means you're only using half your amp, but at least it wont blow.

Edit:-

PS- 5.3 ohms is best treated as though it is 4 ohms. The difference in power output is negligible.

4. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll just buy the Ultralite 4x10.

Best,

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    if it's an 8 ohm cab, you'll have no problems. Bridge that baby and crank it! That would be a nice sounding rig actually, not to mention portable.