1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Cab Rehab! Before/After photos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris1327, Oct 20, 2020.

1. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    So. In the spirit of giving a new life to something old, I did some rehab on an old cab. Some before and after photos are attached for your consideration and amusement :) It's my first endeavor so there was lots of learning/character building experiences along the way...

upload_2020-10-20_18-2-25.png

THE CAB: a beat up Genz Benz 6x10 that I got on CL for $100. It was in rough shape cosmetically, but sounds great and functions perfectly.

THE REHAB: a marble veneer, Wet Look speaker paint, black paint for the body, copper spray paint for the handles and the ports, copper screws for the speakers and grill, new metal corners, and to top it all off: a shiny new metal knob for the tweeter control on the back. All in all it was maybe $100 worth of materials (thank you Parts Express!) and quite a bit of painting, sanding, stripping glue, and watching the vision take shape!

While it's far from perfect, I had quite a bit of fun putting this together and I'm curious if anyone else has undergone any similar endeavors??? Anyways here's the images:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

Here's the BEFORE pictures:

7.png
    8.png

2. Handsome!

I hope your paint job on the speakers didn't kill the tone. That's a bit of a hell no no.

3. The jack plate looks like new?

4. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    Thank you! The speaker paint was the thing I probably spent the largest chunk of time researching. I’ve been making paintings professionally for about 12 years so I have experience with almost every different paint/solvent/substrate/etc and the resulting effects. I used Wet Look, which is formulated for paper cones and paper surrounds. I think the speakers actually sound better (certainly more low end definition) after being painted, but the Wet Look dries fast so I made sure to have a system down before I started. There is a big community of people who repaint speakers in vintage boom boxes who have technical experience with different speakers and different paint combinations, so lots of my time was spent there, as well as the reviews on parts express website

5. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    The jack plate is original, but the knob is new!

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Wow, very nice work!

Big G-B fan here, but wouldn't care to try and move that one around.

herndonbassist likes this.
  7. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    Thank you so much!! And yeah it’s a beast...it probably weighs as much as I do! Luckily the casters make it a little easier to move..

8. The marble veneer is sexy. :cool:

9. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    yes! marble > rat fur

10. What happened to the rusty patches?

11. 6thplanet

6thplanet

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    Definitely distinctive! Which copper paint did you use?

12. nilorius

nilorius Inactive Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    No speakon connector.

Jon Lars likes this.
  13. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Very nice
    Duke

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! i think that looks great! nice job --- bringing an old 'eyesore' around to that kind of classiness took some hard work and some good lovin' --- congrats on your new cabinet! :thumbsup:

15. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    It looks great! Nice job with it...of course its heavy, its made of marble!

Cheers!

bassface69 and Loring like this.
  16. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    I used rustoleum rust reformer... it’s a liquid primer that goes on before the paint, the chemical bonds and converts the rust patches into a
    paintable surface. It was the first time I’d ever used it, but it’s a really clever solution!

Pocket4 and OogieWaWa like this.
  17. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    I used a rustoleum metallic copper spray paint from home depot... simple, cheap, and impossible to mess up! Underneath as a primer I used the rustoleum rust reformer that’s brushed on.

18. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    Thank you so much!!

19. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    Old cab = Old connectors!

20. chris1327

chris1327

May 28, 2020
    Boston
    Haha maybe I should’ve used a material with less visual weight! I’m open to suggestions for the next one... maybe I’ll cover it in feathers?

BOOG, S-Bigbottom and smogg like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020