1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old woofer salvage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Delsan, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    So I have this old 10" woofer from a GK Neo 410...It was making unpleasant buzzing sounds in my cab, so I replaced it.

Question, can these be salvaged by people who know how to do amp repairs? I really have no use for it, figure I could let someone who knows what to do with it have it. I'm not trying to make this a sale thread since I really don't know if it's good for anything, but if you want it, here's your opportunity

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Probably not worth messing with IME.

bassdude51 likes this.
  3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I've recone some speakers and it's really not that hard, just need to find the recone kit and decide if the cost of the kit is worth the repair in comparison to the cost of the speaker.

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Ok
    Except that's not a stock speaker in any regard (assuming it's one of GK in-house built speaker) and my understanding from talking with a forumite regarding a similar problem, recone kits are not available. The challenge is the combination of parts. While they might be available to a recone shop with access to the industry parts suppliers, by ordering individual components by measurement then creating a kit from them, it's a costly way to create the kit and takes a lot of time because some the measurements need to be within a few thousandths of an inch to work. The driver (and most drivers) is not valuable enough to do down this particular road, generally the driver needs to be worth a couple hundred dollars (or be unobtanium) to make this worthwhile.

I would check with GK to see if a kit might be available, even if it is, it might be cheaper just to buy the new driver.

Jim Carr, jazzbass_5 and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    The recones I did were 18" emience omegas. The cone kit was worth the cost the speakers were given to me :)

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Right, fairly expensive speakers and (factory) kits are available as well. One advantage of the Omegas (and many of larger Eminence speakers) the is that they are fairly easy due to the geometry of the basket and relatively large, wider tolerance gap. There are others (such as the shallow JBL models) which leave no room for error (either in labor or parts tolerances)

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  7. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Agreed, I farted out a pair of Emience Kappa pro 10s and it wasn't worth the recone kit to repair them.

agedhorse likes this.
  8. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    So the idea I'm getting here is that when it dies, it's dead. Yes?

9. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Give it to someone that likes to tinker. It might need a recone, it might need something else. Someone might enjoy fixing it.

10. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    You can send it to me:D

11. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    Big refrigerator magnet?

12. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    If you want it all I'd ask is for you to pay the shipping. Like 15 bucks or something.

13. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    There must be a huge landfill full of discarded loudspeaker magnets somewhere in the states.
    Hang on! I think I just found it on YouTube.:)X

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Magnet for big refrigerator?

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  15. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA