1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP Levin..Check this out! Craigslist style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuckyCondlins, Feb 18, 2008.

1. http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/574815927.html

what do you think? 250 bucks? Is that how much these things go for? Its hard to think you can get a decent 5 string for 250 bucks...The body is sweet, with matching headstock too,.

What would you do to modify this lil guy? Some new pickups in that lil bastard?

It looks cool and its not expensive at all.

2. altanunsal

altanunsal

Nov 12, 2007
    if i were you, i wouldn't be giving this bass more than 150 bucks.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    One here for $300

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400817&highlight=OLP

Others on ebay sell from $230 - $270 or so.

Non-Levin models sell for less both here and on ebay.

I find it kind of entertaining that Fender fans can accept and even embrace a $120 Rondo fender knock-off, yet above someone thinks an actual Licensed MM copy isn't worth $150.

4. Don't swap the pickup. The pickups in those are more Stingray than the pickups in the SR5 are.

5. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    I like mine, but it is a cheap bass. The string spacing is rather tight, too. That said, it plays well enough and sounds kinda like a Stingray or Sterling. I'd say it's worth $200 easy.

6. I bought an OLP MM2 (single pickup, passive) for $120 last weekend in a pawn shop. it's immaculate, not a scratch on it, and has a great setup. I got a screamin' deal, but even so $250 is too high, even if it does have active electronics.

P2160003.

7. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    That B-String mustn´t be too tight, flame me if i´m wrong, but i have played instruments in the 600-900 bucks range, and even at that price they barely touch the Tight B-string concept.

I might be wrong...this is just opinion.

8. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    Not quite sure what you mean, but one reason I went with
    OLP is because its B-string sounds clearer than most other cheap basses. I had an MM3 before the TL and thought it sounded even closer to the MusicMan sound.

The OLPs are cheap instruments. To expect more is delusional. In the $200-$500 range, though, I think they play and sound pretty darn good. The Tony Levin Signature is slightly more versatile than some in that range, too.YMMV.

9. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    BUY IT! I would!

My OLP 5-string (MM3 model) has the tightest B-string of any bass I've played.

The Tony Levin models are sweet and had they been out when I purchased my original OLP, I would've bought a Tony Levin model instead! Comes with the 3-band EQ and active pickups aleady. I had to upgrade mine later to the Seymour Duncan 3-band EQ "tone circuit" and active Basslines preamp.

10. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I believe the tree that gave its life so that the OLP bass in question here could live would differ with you ;) :smug:

By the way, you could probably ask bovinehost who supposedly had a hand in designing this particular model. He also hangs out around here on TalkBass but posted a thread on the EB forums sometime around its release: http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/9012-tony-levin-signature-olp-out.html

They retailed for $500 and had a street price of $350-400. I remember seeing them on Musicians Friend for $400 originally.