1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ONE 4x10 or TWO 2x10's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rawrOOO, Aug 7, 2007.

1. rawrOOO

rawrOOO

Jul 12, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    hey all

im using an aguilar gs 4x10. sounds pretty good. really heavy though, although no more than most other 4x10's. but it does have me wondering, how much different is the sound of using two 2x10 cabs in comparison to using the one 4x10? does it yield less or more low end? would the overall volume be similar?

this is, for the moment anyway, being used with a boogie 400+ (which is also really really heavy in the boogie sus4 shockmount case it's currently living in)

sorry if this has been covered a million times. feel free to point me in the right direction if it has!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Two 2x10s can be stacked vertically, substantially improving midrange clarity and dispersion. If the total volume of the two 2x10s is larger than one 4x10 loaded with the same drivers, which is very often the case, better bass extension and output will be the result.

3. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Just my $.02

I like the idea of 2, 2x10's. First off, you may very well see some volume /low end gain because depending on what you choose, you'll probably end up with more overall "air space" with the two separate cabs. plus i've always liked the flexibility of multiple cabs, and the extra trip to the car is OK by me (and my back!!)

4. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Two cabs give you more flexibility in many ways.

It's perfect if you're going to play a smaller gig or jam session and don't need a mountain of sound. No need to haul a heavy 410 for a situation like this.

For me, I like to run a stereo signal to two cabs. I use stereo effects and I EQ each side slightly different to allow the various frequencies more room to not battle for the same speaker. (that theory is my own, I have no idea if there is any science behind it, but I like the way it sounds.) :D

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Absolutely. (2) 2x10s > (1) 4x10

MM

6. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Aguilar GS/DB 410 98 lbs.........

I could argue that it is much heavier then some other options out there. The Epifani UL410 is only 57lbs that is a huge difference. IMO a much better sounding cabinet as well.

That all being said 2 2x10 cabs is not a bad choice if you have to navigate stairs and the like.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    How about FOUR - 2x10 cabs!!! For the big 8x10! :D

I've always wondered if there was a cab company that makes 2x10 cabs that can be used in many application 1 cab, 2, 3, or 4. It would have to have a switch or some electronics that match ohms when you use 2 cabs as opposed to 3 or 4....
    Sorry for the thread de-railment!

back to business

I have 2- mismatched 2x10 cabs (one avatar and one home brew) at practice and a QSC 3002 PLX amp (loads of wattage) It keeps up easily with 2 Mesa boogie 1/2 stacks. Both run at 8 ohms seperately, but 4 ohms together. It's LOUD.

8. 2 210s--if for nothing else, it is so much easier to transport/carry most 210s compared to 410s!

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I love the way a single Acme Low-B2 can get such fat clarity at lower volumes - like rehearsals and smaller gigs - and then adding a second in a vertical stack gives you a totally 4x10" crushing rig in so many ways!

Alex

10. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hey guys, this thread is perfect for me seeing as im in the same boat...

Ive got a 110 lb ampeg 410 and am thinking of replacing it with 2 210's in the future.

many people have recommended the 210 + 112 combination to me though.

all of you experienced guys, what really is better. 2 210 or 210 + 112

11. rawrOOO

rawrOOO

Jul 12, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    for me a 1x12 and a 2x10 wouldnt be loud enough, for you it might be. for quiet music it would sound ok. depends on what youre playing really. if you need deep tones loud it might not cuz it. maybe replace the 1x12 with a 1x15 for that?

my old rig was an aguilar gs112 and an eden d115t. lots of nice deep tones but not loud enough for my band

12. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    rawr000, so what your saying is that a 2x10 is louder than a 1x12?

this just sounds so new to me because in my threads everyone has reccomended this over a (2) 2x10 setup

also, is a single 210 as efficient as a single 115 of the same wattage? (may be a really stupid question)

13. najman

najman

Jul 23, 2007
    New York
    One 2x10 and one 2x12 is the way to go.
    Melt their faces without hauling mega heavy gear.

14. bigfiddle

bigfiddle

Aug 25, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    2 - 2x10's

15. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I've been wondering this myself as I have a 4x10 and 2 2x10 cabs (one cab is a combo w/my 600w amp) and I've been going back and forth as to which to sell and which to replace the speakers in. It's majorly cheaper to replace and more simple for me to keep the 2x10, but I wondered if keeping and replacing the speakers in the 4x10 would be better. In overall sound I guess it might be, but who cares, I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the speakers in the 2x10, sell the 4x10, and be happy w/life.

Thanks talkbass! :D

*Thumbs up!!*

Announcer voice: "Talkbass, the bass player maker!" :hyper:

16. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Don't forget, you can get two different sounding 210 cabs to combine their sound.

A really interesting pairing is an Eden 210XST on bottom and a 210XLT on top. The XST gives a very deep smooth tight low end, while the XLT gives a lot of growl and punch and presence. Try it out if you can.

17. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I personally feel it's easier to carry a single cabinet on either a dolly, small hand cart or casters.

For most gigs I use a EA NL210 90% of gigs.

When I need more I go with a Epi212 (similar in size and volume to a 410)

Again I would look at the Epifani UL410 it's only 57lbs. and sounds great if you like a 410 cabinet.

18. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    +1 Bill, I'd like to add that a 410, IMO, will give you a tighter, more focused low end.

19. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    A 210 will sound louder than a 112, or more direct.
    If you add a 112 to a 210, the 112 will round out the low end nicely but will not be noticeably loud as the 210 will dominate over it unless you stand the 210 up on end and put the 112 on top. Most bassists would add a 115 with a 210 so it will not be over powering to your ears. Some like to put the 115 on top of the 210 so that tonal voicing of 115 doesn't blow past you. :smug:

20. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I would really like to keep it smaller and go (2) 210 over 210 + 115, this will still have enough lows? btw itll all be going through a BL600 and im really leaning towards avatar cabs