1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Bass to do it all?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 5, 2019.

1. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    I would agree..if we all only played one type of bass...

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. JimHM

JimHM

Aug 12, 2018

JRA likes this.
  3. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Boy are you in for a surprise! HPIM0571.JPG

4. Anderson McCant

Anderson McCant

Nov 2, 2017
    For the last 40 years, a Fender Jazz bass has been my "go-to" bass, although I've owned countless others, until now... I have a Music Man Sterling 5 and OMG! It's an Amazing instrument that never gets lost in any mix. Last week I did my 1st recording session with it and the engineer asked me to bring it for the next session. He even asked if he could rent it for a couple of sessions in which I replied, only if it includes me and My Fee!

Attached Files:

MovinTarget and Miles_ONeal like this.
  5. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Great subjective post Doc! IMHO basses are like women, there are some things that some women will do, and some things that other women won't do. I have finally found peace in these 2 basses, with more versatility in their preamps than another big name overrated preamp that starts 2o3zeSixTuGmfRPXEx3HGw. IMG_39291. with the letter "P".

MovinTarget likes this.
  6. Phil Bonk

Phil Bonk

Feb 12, 2015
    My issue with "just one bass" is more in the line of so-called modern sound vs vintage sound. Or, perhaps fretted vs fretless sound. Now perhaps an old Fender or Gibson (or Pentabuzz), with fast change neck, pickups and string would do the trick.....but then, why not just have that 2nd...or 3rd...or 9th bass...

Maartenaerts likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know the bottom bass is a Yamaha; is the top one an Alien Audio?

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    You can get close. TI Flats, Low action etc. I also think there's a pedal or 3 that promise a fretless sound.

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like my actual fretless basses.

Maartenaerts likes this.
  10. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    That's surprising. Most engineers get a little weird about active basses.
    Studio = P-bass.
    Live = whatever you want.

11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I implore you to try a Stambaugh then.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I ever run into one I will, but I do love myPedulla that I already have.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Yes Sir!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Are you familiar with this guy? He has settled for one bass! T8txbFgHRNSqXA+TB9DhvA.

Phil Bonk and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    A small-body, 2004-2009 American Deluxe Jazz V is my ideal for a fretted bass. My first bass was a 1992 Jazz Bass Plus V, and the 1998-2009 AmDlx uses the same body.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. Humbling is right! I started on guitar but never play bass with a pick. I recently decided that since Sir Paul used one in the early days I should also for "I Saw Her Standing There". I tried it with a large pick recommended for bass but went back to fingers. Later I found I could with a "guitar pick" (Fender medium).

Maartenaerts and Miles_ONeal like this.
  17. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I am so stupid for not buying the Stammy I played. It was a single cut which I usually shy away from but it was amazing. Price was only $1900 and it was mint.:banghead::banghead::bag: < me.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree with you about those American Deluxes with 3/4 size bodies. They are comfortable and sound great.

lowdownthump likes this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hey, we all have those stories!:)

FunkHead and Reedt2000 like this.
  20. Martin Risso

Martin Risso

Jun 30, 2007
    Notes from a grumpy old man: I play in bar bands. My goal is to make more money then I spend with my hobby that cost "negative money". So if I play 4 hours at a bar, and actually leave a bar with more money than I had when I walked in, I think that may actually cause a ripple in the time, space continuum :.) I find the room acoustics has a lot more effect on my sound than what bass or amp I'm using and I can't control that. So if I can't sound tone wise exactly the same as a tune we are doing a record copy of, I'm not going to loose sleep over it. Even if I brought 3 different basses to try and get different sounds on different tunes, the room acoustics would probably not support that. The main thing for a bar band is keep the time between tunes as short as possible to keep people on the dance floor. So changing basses between tunes is not a good idea. If your making top dollar as a studio musician, that's a different story. But most of us are bar band cover tune guys.

Shlabotnik, Phil Bonk and Dr. Cheese like this.