1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Bass to do it all?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 5, 2019.

1. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    I like the one bass philosophy.

Find one design you like and have one specimen with single / series / parallel dual coils in the G&L 2000E position, select the active single coils to match the 60's position on a jazz. Have another specimen with a MM in the stingray position. The rest whether you like to have flats and can compromise on a good all-around body wood like alder.

2. Wyvern

Wyvern

Jul 6, 2019
    Pinellas, FL
    I think 3 is the perfect number. One all rounder like a P or a PJ, one for your aggressive/ modern stuff with hot pups and middy wood, and one strictly for drop tuning.

I don't think I can have just one, that is unless financial woes strike.

mikewalker likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the best way to approach the one bass philosophy is to develop a sound and approach that you feel will work with different styles and use your main bass to do it. I think that looking for one bass to truly sound like everything is going to result in coming up short.

4. One bass and one guitar, for some (like me) is an edict from the boss of the house! Until I get to the point where I get paid to play, it'll be one bass for me! Now if I happen to win a shopping spree at a local big box...all bets are off. Already have the first couple selected depending on the big box! One place has a USA L-1500 and a Cort B4-FL. The other place has a Tribute L-2500 and a Skyline 55-01.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. That is kind of where I was with my VM Mustang plus I wanted to go back to a long scale! A really good trade and selling off stuff I didn't need and I now I have the Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff. It plays really nicely, just need a touch more setup done, strings aren't exactly where I would like them.

Stugilliam and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. Jigmay

Jigmay

Mar 24, 2004
    Haligonia
    ^^^^Agree^^^^

I have a Lakland DJ4 with the Aero pickups/John East pre-amp that I bought way back from The Dude during the Dudepit days. If it had to be one, this can do it all. It's also very light and plays well. It would mean saying goodbye to basses I've had for 40 years, but they're not as versatile.

backin82 likes this.
  7. Jaume2

Jaume2

Dec 6, 2014
    That is true. I have been able to pull that off using the eq on my amp...not quite the same but i rarely need that sound.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The more I think about it, the less I think trying to get every tone makes sense. I say play and get a bass with a good sound or maybe two basses with two sounds and just play your version of whatever you are playing.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  9. My lone Fender P bass serves me well. But I'm really only playing a couple styles of music too.

Tim Schnautz, nonohmic and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I suspect most of us are in the same boat.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I took only my Pedulla to Women’s Day practice this evening. I think everything will be fine for the service. My Pedulla really feels like home. My Sire does too, but fretless really speaks to me, and I am glad I have been making the effort to be competent on it.

4StringTheorist and AudioTaper like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Pedullist mentioned in another thread that he mixes his PJ basses 70% split pickup and 30% bridge pickup for slap. This gives my Pentabuzz a nice and punchy tone.

five7 and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  13. Nice growl from what, I assume, is a Bartolini 8S split coil pickup ! :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger

Jun 3, 2012
    Seattle
    Fretless is a major part of my playing so the best I could do is to get down to 2 basses. I'm almost there, I have a matched pair of Yamaha BBG5's, one of which will get an ebony fretless board. It'll have to be good enough to get me to part with my '03 Carvin LB75A fretless so I may only get down to 3.

Dr. Cheese and MovinTarget like this.
  15. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    I like having options, but if I was forced to have only one bass it would be my Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray5 HH.

CereBassum, dave64o, five7 and 3 others like this.
  16. If I HAD to narrow it down to one bass, it would have to be either my P or my Rick. I can't decide!

Dwight and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    My Wattplower is certainly "doing it all" for me in live shows now (especially since I paired it with the Kemper, so I can pitch shift for drop tuning when needed)
    I'm definitely going to get a second as a backup as well

18. Magi003

Magi003

Oct 2, 2014
    Orlando

19. It's not the bass. It's your ears and your nerves.

Spend more time practicing and playing - worry less about the infinitely fine nuances of sound that get you nowhere and few but yourself notice.

Problem today is the internet gives people too many choices.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Joe6Bass, Dr. Cheese and Stugilliam like this.
  20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm in TOTAL agreement!