1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oooo weee GHS Precision Flats. Thumpity Thump Thump

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Sep 25, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ive been wanting to try GHS PF's since I heard that they were the strings that came stock on Stingrays in the 70's. wanting to get that Bernard Edwards thump and snap. The first set I tried on my Classic Stingray broke when I was installing them. I was reluctant to try them again but I'm a flat wound junkie and am always looking for more strings that work for me.

Well I just put a new set on my Classic Ray and I love these strings. Very solid bottom and old school thump. They are a lot like my favorite LaBella 760FL's but with a more broken in sound from the start and maybe a slightly higher bit of tension but I have these tuned to E and my LaBellas tuned to Eb.

In short i really dig these strings and they are everything I was hoping they would be.

e-flat, nerkoids and trothwell like this.
  2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Interesting!

3. soflbass

soflbass

Mar 2, 2013
    S Florida
    I too have a set of the lights on one of my P basses and love the crap out of them.

Frenchy-Lefty and armybass like this.
  4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I got a set of the mediums. I usually get lights but I guess I goofed on my Amazon order. But they are not too stiff for me.

soflbass likes this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Been use M3050 in short period .
    Sound nice while solo or light jamming, but get lose in loud band.

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow, I have had the exact opposite experince in a loud band s.e fundamental of the GHS PF is perfect. It cuts right through and sits in the mix so nicely. Classic old school thump. I love these strings on a two band Stingray!

7. I've seen people post here on a few different occasions that the original StingRay strings were Brite Flats which were also what came on Bernard's bass. Don't know if that's totally accurate or not. Glad you like the Precision flats either way.

8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    These are the best feeling flats I've ever played. Sometimes at the house I pick up a bass to play a bit with them (unplugged) just because they feel so amazing. I guess that makes me some kind of weirdo. But playing bass in my fuzzy slippers is nobodies business.;)

I've been wanting to try them on my SR, and I think you've convinced me. I had some Fender Flats on it and those sounded pretty good. I think the PFs will tame the wild zing of rounds but will still put out some seriously solid lowend. That's one bass I love the feel of when playing but it just doesn't sound as I would like. Seems to lack something. These may be the key to better and more full tone.

armybass likes this.
  9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yep you nailed it. Flats and PF in particular tame the wild Stingray to the point where it is a thump monster oozing old school funk with a load snap on tap. I keep the highs rolled off and add a tad as needed.

dagrev likes this.
  10. Yeah, like those P Flats. Habit forming, ain't they?

armybass likes this.
  11. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes indeed. I have only used them so far on my two band Stingrays and they are absolutely what I was looking for on those Basses.

12. Same here. The GHS 3025 are the best flats for this old school bass sound. I have them on my jazz bass and it is reggae bliss

soflbass and armybass like this.
  13. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Absolutely for that old school warm burpy bump. I think I might like these just as much as my beloved LaBella 760FL. I’m so glad I gave these another shot. Getting ready to order my third set in 2 weeks.

14. Compared to the LaBella FL760's they have a more fundamental sound with a sharper/clearer attack. I record a lot and I am a bit of an audio freak. The best tracks I've recorded feature those strings. When playing with a pick though I prefer the LaBellas because the E has a bit more sustain and the pick will bring back a sharp attack regardless.

The sound of those GHS 3025's is the sonic equivalent of a nice dark chocolate. No BS, warm and pure fundamental bass.
    I also had them on my PBass too before getting back to rounds, my PBass was too nasally with the TI's, too clanky with the Chromes, nice with the LaBella, awesome with the GHS's.

Lastly, they seem to be the only flats that don't make me sticky-finger when I sweat. Play a reggae show during a hot summer and you appreciate that.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    armybass likes this.
  15. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    That’s a great way to put it. Same thump but more defined and less ploom than The LaBellas. I’m still in love with my 760FLs but I can’t get these Damn PFs off my mind lol.

16. KK Jale

KK Jale

Nov 4, 2010
    Quite impressed by a recent set of 3025's. As they're on a 32" Squier, the .095 E might be just a touch too low-tension... but the smooth feel and the sound are great.

I'm dying to try some of the new Custom Medium 3050s on my regular P-bass but there don't seem to be any in the UK yet... dang.

17. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    I've had a set of GHS Precisions on my short scale PJ for a week now, and I'll add to the enthusiastic chorus. They're punchy and articulate, and even with the strong fundamental tone, the P-bass grunt and gank still comes through with the tone open. The E is mellower than the other three strings out of the pack, but even just a week in, the set is starting to balance (with the A, D, and G sweetening).

The strings also have a wonderful feel: smooth and not at all sticky or grabby (I'm looking at you, Chromes), with a supple feel under the fretting and plucking fingers (again, a shortcoming with Chromes).

It's interesting comparing these with the La Bellas I have on my Hofner. The gauges are similar, and they both have that supple feel with a rich, musical tone. Yes, the .095 (GHS) and .096 (La Bella) E string gauges are pretty light, especially on short scales, but these flats have enough rigidity to avoid any floppiness while still facilitating playing with a relaxed left hand.

It's hard to say which is smoother; they're both incredibly smooth, but in different ways. The La Bellas have a glassy smoothness, but the windings are detectable; the GHS have a dry smoothness, and I can't feel the windings (they're even hard to see). They're on such different basses, I can't really compare them tonally, other than to say they both sound excellent and are good matches with their respective basses.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    armybass likes this.
  18. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I feel the same way. I have the Precision Flats and LaBellas on my basses and I love them both. I really have a hard time finding words to describe the differences but I think the GHS are maybe a tad more focused while the LaBellas are maybe a tad fatter and warmer... slightly more vintagey....

fermata likes this.
  19. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    still enjoying mine on my jazz, light scale custom set i made (.40 .55 .75 .95)

armybass likes this.
  20. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Please tell me about your light gauge set! I just ordered the 45-95 set for a bass I tune to E. I have the regular gauge on my Eb Basses and thought I might try the lights on my E bass.