Open E sounds like a spring

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phishaholik, Aug 27, 2005.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I play a 1980 P-Bass that sat around as parts for a decade. When I play on the E string, all the notes sound round and full, except for the F and the open E. The E sounds a lot worse. I know open string notes will never sound like a fretted note without a zero fret, but my bass seems to lose its balls when I hit the open E. I am playing it through a SWR workingman's 300 and Goliath Jr. 2x10. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Grote
  2. My first guess would be that the nut slot is cut too low, or the string might be wound wrong and not be providing enough downward pressure behind the nut. Can you post a pic?
  3. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    I'm having similar issues with a couple of strings on a couple of basses. Instead of almost all fundamental unplugged, I'm getting a "brawwww" or ringing sound that makes me think the trussrod or an internal part is vibrating a bit. I'll be real interested to find out what others have experienced/repaired.
  4. PAguy

Aug 19, 2005
    I was having a similar problem with my bass. The open G string had a wierd boingy sound--kind of like a sizzle. Any fretted notes on the G were fine. I knew it wasn't fret buzz, but it was driving me nuts! I finally brought it to a tech, who said that string had a bad winding. I have replaced the string and the wierd sound is gone!