Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Open G string makes the after length of E ring . . .

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Michael Case, Nov 29, 2004.


  1. . . . and you can hear the string vibrate on the tailpeice and buzz. I put my wolftone elimnator on it and that has helped. I also noticed that when I put my finger on the vibrating afterlength to stop the buzz, the tone of the G seemed a little fuller.
    What could be the problem? Should I bring my bass to a luthier for this?
    Thanks,
    Mike
     
  2. hdiddy

    hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

    Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Although I'm not a luthier by any means, I wonder if changing the afterlength would fix wolfs. I've never had the problem so I don't have to deal with it, but it would make sense to me since you're making the afterlength longer and reducing the potential to cause them. I was thinking about it cuz I was putting on the tailpiece I got from Adrian Juras. I kept moving it back and forth til I put it back where it was before (7.5 inches from bridge to TP saddle on the G string). Just my uneducated rambling... :)
     
  3. arnoldschnitzer

    arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

    Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I think the E string afterlength is tuned to G and is vibrating sympathetically with the open G. This will rob a little power from the G. If it's buzzing, the string probably isn't making good contact with the tailpiece saddle. I'd probably bring the tailpiece up toward the bridge a bit and see what happens.
     
  4. Thanks for the reply. Arnold, is this a job I could do myself?
     
  5. Again, I think Arnold's right on.
    Although I had this happen once, so I stuck a little sliver of wood under the string where it wasn't touching the saddle and bingo.
     
  6. arnoldschnitzer

    arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

    Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Maybe.
     
  7. I assume it would involve removing the strings and loosening up the cable to move the tail piece up?
     
  8. Well, I did it. I loosened the strings then the tailpiece cable and moved it up. The buzz is gone and the bass feels much less tense. There is more sustain and more relaxed tone. The volume is slightly less, but I'm actually happy with the sound. The pitch on the after length is a whole step lower now. FWIW I'm happy. :hyper:
     
  9. Right on....you're moving ever so closer to doing a few bass things yourself....good feeling huh?
    Ever try setting a sound post?
     
  10. interesting that a small change in tailpiece position made such a difference in sound and response, beyond just resolving the buzz that prompted the change.
     
  11. I never did a soundpost and don't plan too. I made sure the top was weighted before loosening the strings. It felt good to do it, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that kind of stuff in the future, I have enough to worry about just playing the thing.

    As far as the sound and response. I think it's mostly in the feel department that there is a difference. Everything else is probally percived on my part. Or just subtle differences I can hear because I'm so fimliar with my bass now.

    Either way, I'm happy. And that's what counts.
     
  12. hdiddy

    hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

    Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I've fiddled with the afterlength cuz I put on an MPM tailpiece myself that I got from the For Sale section. Not that hard to do.

    IIRC, I had the afterlength down to a little less than 7" and the sound seemed rather choked. Felt like the string tension was way low too. So I put it back at 7.5" (where it used to be after my setup was done with a regular uncompensated TP) and the tension went up and the string response was alot better. Sounded better too.

    One thing I learned was that it was a pain in the a$$ trying to get the exactly afterlength I wanted with a nylon cord. The little amount of slack always screwed up the final measurement once the tension on the strings was turned up. Not to mention having your bridge move around all the time and having to recenter it. I had no tools to reset the SP so thank god it didn't tip over. It took about 5 tries before getting it right. Pretty nerve wracking.