1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion on the following amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lukc, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Lukc

Lukc

Nov 10, 2012
    Portugal
    So earlier I made a thread on getting an amp for rock and able to dish out some good sound. I got some really good recommendations, and I'd like to put 'em up against the Orange TB500C Terror Bass 500 Combo. I love this sound of this thing, but does it compete to getting a cheap head+cabinet of the same price? Is it able to dish out enough sound? Would it be better to get this rather than a 500 Rumble Fender + a 200 Rumble? Cheers!

2. In my opinion, you are ALWAYS better off on getting a separate head and cabinet and steering away from combo setups. You can always downsize and swap parts as needed. Combo's cut corners to save on weight, price, transporting, and tone. Yes, combo's can sound great, but they generally will not cut it in fairly loud to very loud band situations. For smaller, quieter bands, acoustic setups or personal practice, combo's can be a perfect fit. But so is a 5 lb micro head and a single 110 cabinet. And guess what? That 5 lb micro head can power an 810 cabinet just fine.

3. Agreed. Combos tend to be a bunch of compromises. Separates are the way to go.

4. I agree. Real rigs offer a whole lot of possibilities.

A little tip. Threads with no clues in the title get little response.

Orange and Fender aren't much in common for tone.

Generally a little amp makes more sound with a big cab than vice versa. Modern uber 3 way cabs break that rule with power handling, but that's out of your budget. Combo design is at odds with the big cab requirement.