1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

opinions on buying blemished?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris4355, Dec 23, 2011.

1. chris4355

chris4355

Jul 14, 2011
    im considering getting a blemished item from zzounds... does anyone have any experience buying blemished items and is it worth the 200 dollar price drop?

2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Does it give specific info on what the blemish is?

3. I have no problem buying blemmished and saving some money! AS LONG AS, it does not affect the functionality (sp?) or is not going to cause a forseen issue down the road.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    A great many so-called "blems" (perhaps most) are in fact unacknowledged factory seconds that failed QC, not A-stock that picked up a ding somewhere along the line. Likewise the "mint used" stuff MF/M123/GC is selling. They dropped the "scratch & dent" designation as "used" means "no factory warranty."

With that in mind, you may get less than your money's worth. I have in the past with them.

5. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    the major retailers are pretty good about detailing scratches and dents. I would buy with confidence from zzounds

6. GolemTB

GolemTB

Dec 22, 2011
    I've had mixed luck with long-distance blems. Off the rack,
    it's easy. Even my 'mixed luck' has been worthwhile, altho
    it's more effort. "Blem" can mean anything ... unfortunately
    that includes problems that are NOT always cosmetic :-(
    like the otherwise wonderful fretless HH Bongo with piezo
    bridge. Coulda been a dream ax, but coud not be properly
    set up.

IOW, "Blemmished" can mean almost anything that was
    returned for reason of ANY complaint [on the ubiquitous
    Satisfaction Guaranteed formula] as long as the item is
    in "presentable" condition.

`

7. chris4355

chris4355

Jul 14, 2011
    no information about the damage, and they cannot get it...

i wasnt aware blemished items do not have warranty coverage... that changes things quite a bit.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Return it if it's not satisfactory. I wouldn't be reluctant to buy a blem...I've had very good luck with blems in all kinds of products.

9. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I have bought 2 blemish items from MF. The first was my BBE tube pre amp which only had some scratches on the box, and the other was a cello. The cello I got was messed up beyond playability but I was able to return it and didn't even have to pay for return shipping. I ended up getting a different cello all together but they gave me a discount for the troubles. Most blem items are cosmetic flaws, so if you don't mind a small cosmetic defect then save some money and get the deal.

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    occasionally, Lakand offers "B stock" basses (IF - BIG "IF" they get in something from Indonesia with a blem)......

usually, the blems are very minor....and the price drop? well worth it!

I ahve no issues as long as the "blem" is well disclosed....only issue is potential resale pricing issues...BUT you SHOULD be able to proce yourself lower than the competition - making your bass more atractive.....

I have bought a few blems in my day...one I had "refinished" and the other? traded..with FULL disclosure...no issues.

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    WOW! Lakland Blems have FULL warranty....

12. I don't have too much experience buying gear, so take others' advice over mine. However, here's my 2ยข: I'd buy it as long as it still had warranty coverage and a decent return policy. Otherwise I'd be skeptical.

13. chris4355

chris4355

Jul 14, 2011
    thanks people, i just bought a blem sr 1400 for 850 shipping... theres one left =)

14. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I bought a bass from MF that was a return. They grade their used stuff and this was a "B" due to minor scratches. I'll be damned if I can see them and the bass is perfect. SAved a ton of money on it and I still have it.

15. Depends on the blemish. Like many have said above, its a whole new ball game if it's functionality is affected rather than say its stain. A buddy of mine bought an 7 string Agile Septor Pro directly from Rondo for 200 dollars less because of "black dots in the white finish". We still haven't found the dots.

16. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    As long as it has the standard return policy it can be well worth a look-see.

17. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I've no trouble with minor finish issues in regards to blem sale instruments. Structural damage, along with defective or damaged hardware and electronics issues would be my biggest concerns. I apply the same standards of how I would approach a used instrument.

18. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I play Nash basses, so blems are not an issue for me.

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009

I've had a bit of mixed luck with long-distance blems as well. True blems are usually no problem. A gouge or ding is usually pretty easy to fill with epoxy if nothing else. Hey, my NEW (full price) G&L Trib had a spot on the neck where varnish didn't want to stick (was probably silicone grease picked up at the factory) Took me FOREVER to fix it. But on the other hand I got an SX Strat from Rondo B stock listed as with a gouge in the neck. Wrong. Guitar came and was immaculate! Gorgeous! Only there was this huge buzz in the bridge! I tried everything to get rid of it. No dice. Eventually I had to buy a new bridge for it. Yeah, put a bit of a crimp in the savings but still not losing any money.

As long as something can be fixed to be playable, I've got no problems with blems, except for the ones are are NOT bargains. You know, like "neck broken in two... $20 off list price". I don't know why stores do stupid stuff like that but sometimes they do.

20. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have always had a problem with buying blem or 2nd's. The way I see it they knock off a couple hundred off a $1200-1500 bass but you get no warranty. If I want to get a bass with no warranty I'll buy used and save even more. I get the emails from Hello Music every day. I have yet to see something priced as low as a nice used bass. I have also got some used basses that were perfect, better then any blem for great prices.