1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on Randall RB75???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nedvigbendeguz, May 29, 2019.

1. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    Hi there fellow low end lovers!
    I'm about to buy a bass amp for practice and for small concerts.
    I've found a second hand Randall RB75 amp for sale. As matter of wattage it's just perfect for me. But I'm a bit disappointed because I didn't find anything about it online. Not even on the manufacturers website. Like this model never existed.

Heres a few things I learned from the seller:
    -75 W
    -15" speaker
    - gain, compression knob
    - XLR output which can send POST or PRE EQ
    -Made in China
    -7 band EQ
    -22 kg

For me the XLR output and the EQ are very appealing, also the gain and compression function. Only drawback is the weight. Its heavy! :D

I have a few questions regarding this monster:
    Do you think its a good thing to use the XLR out on stage?
    Do you know anything about this brand or this specific modell?
    Would you recommend it for jazzy, bluesy, folk stuff?
    I use a sigma acoustic bass at the time, but I'll have an electric soon.
    What should I look for for when I try it? How to test a used amp?
    What do you think about the 15" speaker?

My alternative is a Vox VX50BA, which is just 50 W, 8" speaker, but small and lightweight, and would be new. So I Wouldn't have to afraid of the speaker dying soon or whatever.

I'll go to try this Randall on this Saturday, and make the decision. So please write me as soon as possible!

Thank you!!!

randall.JPG
    randall2.JPG

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    You're buying it used and you have no idea how abused?

It's probably less bad of an option than the Vox, however neither brand has much specialty with bass amps.

I'd recommend you just get a Fender Rumble, Ampeg, or a Gallien-Krueger new with warranty.

shoot-r and Mili like this.
  3. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    In my price range there is no appropriate model from the mentioned manufacturers. I could buy a 20-35 W, but next to drums it wouldn't be enough.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    No experience with this combo (or Randall), but here are some observations:

75 watts isn't very much if playing with a loud drummer. To get the most out of this combo (100 watts) you would need to add an external 8 ohms cabinet.

Use the DI output to add your bass signal to the PA. Most built-in DIs are good for this purpose. Your combo becomes a personal bass monitor with the PA doing the heavy lifting.
    Most amps aren't specific to any style of music, unless you're looking for an amp with inherent overdrive grit. The size of the speaker doesn't mean much, except it has more surface area than a 10".

For testing take your bass, and plug it into the active input. Set the EQ sliders all to the middle position, the compression level, pre-shape and gain to 0. Set the volume to about 1/4 then turn on. Increase gain until loud enough without overdrive. Add volume carefully. Activate the EQ and test each slider individually for cut/boost. Engage the compressor and note how it affects the attack of your notes. If you have headphones with a 1/4" plug you could test that as well. Listen for any rattles, pops, scratchiness, etc. when operating the controls. Turn off the amp and plug into the passive input as well.

You might need to invest in a soundhole feedback blocker for your Sigma.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  5. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    Thanks! That was useful!

I recently used a 35 w amp for rehearsals. And it was loud enough. Probably our drummer isn't so loud. So I hope this 74 W will be enough as well.

6. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    A used, first-gen Fender Rumble 100 (w/ a 15") can be had around here for $100. A first-gen Rumble 60, with a 12", can be had for $50-60 if one is patient. So I wouldn't pay more than something along those lines. Especially not for a low-endish, kinda-second-tier Chinese amp that the current manufacturer doesn't acknowledge that they ever made. Neither Randall nor Vox is still the company on which their reputations were built, and that is even more apparent in their entry-level products. But that said, it doesn't mean that Randall amp wouldn't do for your purposes if it's priced appropriately. Nothing wrong with a 15" speaker in my book. Turn up as loud as you can stand listening to it for a brief interval to see if the speaker is going to splat out. Play it for some more time at the level you anticipate playing it in your band setting. If it sounds OK and the price is what you're willing to spend, I don't see any reason not to go for it. I've bought 6 comparably-sized, brand-name, used amps in the last year or so, and while I was disappointed with the performance of a couple of them, they all have worked fine and have served well enough for me to consider them worth what I paid for them. At least none of them have 'blowed up' or had a speaker failure.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021