1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on Spector Rebop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimaGuy, May 15, 2011.

1. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Another Spector question for you Spector Guys.

I have a Spector Euro 4LX and I love it.

I previously had a Spector Legend Custom (non bolt on) and it really didn't do anything for me. I ended up returning it.

I am thinking about getting a Rebop.

Any opinions on Rebop's and if you think they are closer to a Euro 4LX or Legend Custom.

Thanks

Sam

2. ReBops are definitely not Legends, they're not Euros either. They have the punchy Spector sound; hi-fi without the natural compression of a through-neck. Since they are made by the same CR company as Euros, you know the high quality to expect.

Have you played a ReBop?

3. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    I havent played a ReBop. (The joys of online buying...uggh)

I have 07 Warwick German Corvette and I also love that.
    (a wide range but it gives you an idea of what I do have and like.)

The Legend was really dull and boring for me.

I know everyone has their own opinions but so far I have gotten really good advice and feedback from people on this forum.
    Thanks

4. Rebops tend to be neck heavy, which was a turn off for me. I wouldn't put them in quite the same class as a neck-through Euro. I actually preferred the Legend Custom to the Rebop by a mile. Even though both have those horrid EMG-HZ's. The feel of the Legend Custom was more solid.

5. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    The bneck dive on my ReBop was outrageous.. Made it a constant fight to play it.

Also I found the strings were miles away from the body, because the pickups stick up so far out of it.

6. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Mine has a solid b and is as comfortable to play as my Warwick Streamer Stage 1.

7. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    There is no neck dive if you ware it in high position on the belly or down low on your balls.

8. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I have a Rebop. No neck dive. Amazing bass. A-B'd it against a Euro LX when I bought it and it's WAY closer to that than it is to the Legend. To me it sounds like a Spector where the Legend, although a great bass at its price point, did not. YMMV.

9. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Get the Rebop and swap the pickups to active EMGs if you want it to sound as close as it gets to the euro.
    On the other hand, why wanting it to sound more like the euro if u own a euro ;)
    The Rebop has it's own sound, that IS a spector sound, and is as well-built as the neck-thru counterpart you own. It's been characterized as the "jazz bass" of spector (well, before the Coda was out )
    You won't be disappointed i think.
    I'm definately not disappointed with mine ;)

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like the look of the rebop. From what I could tell having played it only a couple times it's a decent instrument if you catch a good one.

11. My first Spector was a 2002 Q4 Pro, bought as a leftover in 2005. The Q Pro basses came before the Legend series; both made in Korea. They have the EMG HZ pups and bolt-on neck, but everything else about aren't like a ReBop. The Q Pro basses have a flat body with a contour in the back to make it comfortable to play while sitting. I'm not sure what they call the pre-amp in them, but they are 9 volt powered and have boost and cut on the bass and treble. The bodies are Basswood with a figured Maple top. Mine was flamed Maple with an amber stain on the entire body.

Back in 2005, I was going back and forth on buying the Q4 Pro or the ReBop4 DLX. It finally came down to price and I was able to get the Q for nearly half the price of the ReBop. While I liked the bass, it left me wanting something more. Later, I played a Euro 5LX at a local store and heard recordings of 5 string Spectors; I was hooked! Once I got the Euro 5LX, the Q4 Pro really didn't do it for me anymore. And I sold it.

I should mention that I do really like the sound of bolt-on Spectors. Namely, the USA BO and ReBop basses. I do hope to add one to my gear list someday.