1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Computer + Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joshmickelson, Apr 16, 2010.

1. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
  2. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't really know what I think about that either! What happens when Windows 7 crashes mid gig or something?

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    After 56 years of witnessing occasional lame and I thought I had a handle on what it is.
    But this opens up a whole new virgin undiscovered territory
    of lameness.:ninja:

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Wow.

I have worked for high tech manufacturers (PCs, storage, telecom, etc.) for 15+ years and this is likely the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Unless it is dirt cheap (which it won't be as Dell, HP and the others have amazing buying power and Orange doesn't), I really don't know why they would think this is a viable product that there is a market for.

I can do most of what this thing does with my PC, a good pair of speakers and maybe a card to allow me to connect instruments, mics, etc.

Crazy.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, it looks cool, but the very concept is baffling. Why?

6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Uhhhh................

7. Wow! Almost like a fancy case mod. Except it's actually still an amp too!

Weird, weird, weird is all I can say.

8. I guess the bass version would be a mac mini gaffered to a GK MB115. Or perhaps a rackmount linux server or something in with the power amp and pre (and of course tuner) on top of a fearful.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Modeling. It's all about modeling.
    It's not tied to a dsp - using a computer they can use plugins. Many quality plugins are available but people want an easy an rugged way to carry them around.
    The keyboard world has Muse Receptor, and V-machine, and more options soon.
    Time for something for guitarist.

Wireless is OK - if you can trust the sound engineer out front to control you're settings, they can do so remotely.

Cool to see Orange - an old world company join in on the modeling revolution - the built in PC makes much more sense than a single purpose DSP. This could be the missing link between old and new world.

10. I see your point.

Think of all the guys with an amp and a macbook on stage right now.

11. the thing about DS vs Mac/Pc is that DSP is very fast and doesnt need and OS or it can run hosted. Playing a guitar plugged into AD pc modeling and then DA means more latency. You cant get rid of the AD/DA so I would much prefer a dsp based modeling.

This has to be an april fools joke. Outside of the handful of guitarists that would buy it as a gimick who would want this?
    Most of the laptop musicians are keyboardists or DJ's not guitarists or bassists.

12. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
  13. This is great. Tube amps are worhtless now that modelling has not only duplicated but excelled their performance. Big SS amps are on the way out too, with everybody buying lightweights that fit in the gig bag. This is the next step, and will only get better as the physical components get smaller. Don't feel bad that your amp is an anachronistic museum piece; time marches on, and change is for the better. Before you know it, bass players will be obsolete too, so make the most of you gigs while you can:

14. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I kinda like this...

15. And, being windows, we all know it will!!! ;)

Paul

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have officially quit playing bass. After watching that robot shread like Billy Sheehan, I quit. I can never play that well so my stuff is for sale!

17. Jammin_Bass

Jammin_Bass

Nov 5, 2009
    Don't let Apple see this. :scowl:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    funny post!

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    They won't mind, it's not a directly comparable product-

apples to oranges, y'know? :oops:

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    DSP is great for small single purpose things like hearing aids.

For multieffect high end rack reverbs or similar that use DSP usually do include an OS. I know I have one and have updated the OS.

I do expect DSP will be displaced in the next few years by CPU+OS. Volume and flexibility is key here. CPU has the performance to pull this off now for a few years with no problem.

All your computer peripherals - printers, RAID, routers, ... are CPU OS now. Keyboards are going the same route.

Win7 is stable. XP is stable. It's loading on all the crap that makes them unstable. Don't load the crap and it will be stable.

Although I would expect that Linux to be a better choice, the plugin makers just don't seem to think so.

Why something like this isn't a MAC (which is Unix like Linux) is because Apple doesn't share their OS outside of Macs.

I think this is going to be a big hit for Orange if the price is reasonable. Around or less than a Muse receptor.

And if they have a "Loading plugins for dummy's" application. Like Muse Plugorama.com site for the Receptor. Something that loads plugins and ties a set of default controls to the knobs.

All I can say if Great Job Orange! First usually sets some kind of cult following in the Music Industry.