1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orchestra Bass String Setup Megathread

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jesse Dietschi, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Obligato, wasn't crazy about the roll
    Spiros were interresting tone wise but stood out too much (I'm the third man out of four) maybe if I'd left them on for a few years? There was also a funny hesitatancy before the note started sometimes. Maybe I'd like like them more now, I'll probably try them again.
    Evah pirazzi mediums, after a month I found they were too stiff and I felt it was stifling my bass.
    Flexocore deluxe were on for a long time but I wanted a shade darker so I now use flexocore 92 adg and deluxe c extension.

I am resisting the expensive urge to change until these die

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I swear it sounds like people using Flex 92s, Felx deluxe etc, really, secretly, want Jargar Fortes -- just saying.

Selim and Sam Dingle like this.
  3. I've wanted to try them based on your description, but am attempting to be frugal

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    After Passione regular and stark, Flex Deluxe, EP which, I'm 90% happy with Bel Cantos on AES#34. I talk myself about once a day out of ordering a set of Olivs or Eudoxas.......

5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    How's the difference between the two setups?

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Lee. Jury still out on evah weich D, but if i swap out it would be for newer Evah orchestra D. Like the weich A a lot as well as the Passione G.

Lee Moses likes this.
  7. I also tried Evahs a while ago. I had some occasional problems with rolling; they tended to sound rich at first and go dead quickly.

8. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

I have a full unwound set on the way and will let you know what I find. John

kinnon64 and Sam Dingle like this.
  9. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Got a set of Kaplan Mediums on the way-no gigs, so I can experiment a bit, and the price is right.

10. Personally I'm back to Spiro Mittels on the bottom, so I'm Flex Deluxe GD Spiro A ext. E. Diggin it

Selim and Sam Dingle like this.
  11. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Eudoxa E & A, Oliv D & G.

12. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    i bet thats incredible.

13. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    It would be nice if I had the skill these strings deserve. But I'm workin' on it.

John Chambliss likes this.
  14. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Follow up on my mixed set: Upon reviewing the string tension chart on Joey Naeger's site, it dawned on me why my combination of Flexocor 92 G and D, Original Flexocor A, and Permanent low C works so well. Full disclosure, my bass has a 41.5" string length. Anyway, Flexocor 92 tension from G to E for 41.5" scale length are as follows: 64.1, 64.8, 66.7, 64.8. Original Flexocors (also G to E) are as follows: 57.6, 59.5, 70.0, 73.9.

I recently tried on a Flexocor 92 A after having the Original Flexocor on for some time, and it just felt way too soft. This only served to confirm things. The tension from G to E on my mixed set (Flex92 G & D, OG Flex A, Perm C/E) is then 64.1, 64.8, 70.0, 71.3. IMHO, it's almost like the Original Flex A really belongs with the Flexocor 92s. As for the Permanent C/E, I sometimes wonder what it might be like to have a C/E string with slightly more tension, but then again, the tension on the Permanent C/E is such that it still allows it to easily and quickly speak, maintain solid punch and clarity while being quite warm (helps that it's been on over a year now) and big sounding.

Ah, good ol’ stuck-at-home-COVID19-seclusion-string-tension-nerding-out. Anyway, how’s everyone else's sets holding up?

stefaniw80401 and paulunger like this.
  15. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Kaplans-meh.

piggywiddle and Phil Rowan like this.
  16. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually I find the solo Kaplans tuned down more interesting than the regulars.

17. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    @salcott It's been years since I used them (and I remember being more into the heavy Kaplans, though I know that's not what's best for you), but I'm wondering what your take on the Kaplans is.

18. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Half the people on this thread have sold me strings at great prices....thanks all!

Kaplan mediums (x4) have been a workhorse for me since they were first introduced. A pleasing and good amount of sound with great playability. I actually like the effect of three different winding materials on the sound. Plus the price: it's a lot of bang for the buck. They never did come out with the 5th string low B they promised but maybe that's just as well.

A lot of the B's I've tried have been flabby and not at all matching the character of the other 4 strings in the sets.

I tried using a Helicore hybrid down low with the Kaplans to get some spirocore-ish edge without the actual buzz saw of the original. Effect was right but thin, not enough sound. Have a Passione on now and kinda liking it. Much thicker tone and for the very first time I'm actually liking the sound of my low B plucked, a proper classical thump! Still wish an eensie bit more edge bowed but then I did get this one used. I suppose low B is always going to be a bit of a work in progress. Of course it would be, it's the most expensive string.

Only thing with D'Addario, when they get old the G string seems to get weird, kind of warbly and hard to find pitch. Had it happen three times now with both Helicore and Kaplan. But maybe I've got a string killing sweat or finger oil thing going.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  19. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    My new carved bass is bright, and has a 42-3/8" string length.
    1. Jan-Feb/2020: used stock Superflexible S42 G/D/A over Spiro S42 mitt E, was great for jazz pizz, and just OK for arco solo and orchestral. Overall too bright on my bass, and the SF A-string was too wolfy and G was a bit whiney.
    2. July/2020: used stock Bel Canto G/D over Spiro S42 mitt A/E. Great for jazz pizz. A-string just as wolfy as SF A-string. BC's, like everyone else, are kinda boring, but bow real nice and the high harmonics are forgiving.
    3. Since Aug/2020: new set Evah P weich. EP G string is thicker than the BC G, so I had to enlarge my nut and bridge grooves a smidge. This was a pleasant surprise, since I like a thicker G-string anyways. Overall, this set is really punchy and balanced on my bass with the bow, but with COVID, I have not had a chance to try in the section. For arco solo, they sound good to me, but I wonder how they'll project. The high harmonics are a bit finicky though. They also sound great for jazz pizz. My only complaint might be that the E string is a little flabby.
    On my old carved bass, over the years, I had EP med&weich, SF, Flexocore Deluxe, Corelli 370TX, Jargar Forte, and Spiro mitts&wiechs, Zyex G/D over Helicore Hybrid med. The Zyex/HH combo lasted a season on my bass, as did the Jargar Forte the next season. The Jargar's have a nice fundamental that seems easy to find pitch center. FD's were a good hybrid string, and bowed well for me, but lacked fullness on my bass. I also had Spiro S42 mitts with an Olive G that was interesting which lasted a season on my bass.

I have an old set of 92's from an even earlier bass of mine that I want to try on my new bass now.

Lee Moses and kinnon64 like this.
  20. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I just put Jargar med (blues) G/D/A on over existing EP weich E. I love the smooth darkness of the jargars med, but at 42-3/8" they seem tight. I'm afraid of trying the forte's.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021