Order Of Things - Which Came First?c

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrBassman17, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    OK, so, being new to the use of effects (i.e. - pedals), and how the order could effect the sound, I have a question for all you TB'ers out there with more experience in this realm!

My pedal board is so far configured like this : first in line is a BBE Stomp Box/Sonic Maximizer, then the TC SpectraComp Compressor. I will be adding (it arrives today!) a TC Corona Chorus.

Heres my question : Is there a 'correct' order to these? Or, do I have to experiment until I find what I like best? My instincts tell me that experimentation is what will happen, and I (so far) don't use both pedals I currently have together all the time, anyway. I just would like some guidance in this to avoid any wasted time! Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A compressor can go either at the beginning, middle or at the end of your chain depending on where you need to control the dynamics of your signal. For example, I use a rack compressor in the effects loop of my preamp as a soft knee limiter so my powr amp doesn't try to amplify any peaks and fry my speakers. But one might put it before a pedal like an octaver to send a more consistent signal to it so it can track better.

Effects like your chorus, reverb, and delay usually work best at the end of your chain.

That leaves the BBE and to be honest, I'm not sure what it actually does. I mean, I know what they claim that it does, but as far as I can tell and based upon many technical reviews, It's my understanding that it is just a non-adjustable EQ pedal. You can probably use it anywhere you like.

MrRubi04 likes this.
  3. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Thanks for the clear, logical advice! That's exactly what I had thought. My board consists of (in order of signal chain)the BBE (which is adjustable), then the SpectraComp, then the Corona Mini-Chorus. I have used it several times so far, and am liking the chorus, and I think the order is correct for now!

4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

The correct order is with the sonic maximizer no longer in the chain. It's just a fancy mid scooper.

That leaves the compressor and chorus. I would put the compressor before the chorus.

However, if you find you like the chorus before the compressor, then that's good, too.

5. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    But I like my BBE! It does even out the tone, then either the compressor and/or the chorus does it's work!

6. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    If you like the tone, leave it in.

MrRubi04 likes this.
  7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Do you know that for sure?

Sonic Maximizers are not true bypass. In "bypass" mode they actually cut a lot of low end (versus not being in the signal chain at all).

8. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I also use the SpectraComp and have it first in my chain. I've never used a BBE but I would start with SpectraComp, BBE and then chorus and then I'd switch the chorus and BBE around and decide which I liked better.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021