Organ into bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    So I have an old Hammond organ, nothing fancy but I love how it sounds. Anyways recently I noticed it has an output tucked away on it, all it says is 120 volts 60 hertz 2 amps. I can't find any info on this particular organ online.

So would it be most likely a speaker out I should only use with a cab? I haven't opened it up yet but I assume it has some sort of amp built inside, maybe a tube amp as it's from the 70's.

I have mic'd it before and it sounds amazing, it needs some repairs but it sounds great. Sadly the bass floor pedals often don't work, I need to check the wiring in the back soon...

Anyways should I avoid plugging it into anything? I have a cheap old guitar amp I could test it on.

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    image.jpeg

3. Bob-I

Bob-I

Sep 12, 2014
    How about you post the model of the organ?

4. That description does not sound like a speaker output.
    Rather it sounds more like some kind of power output to run an auxiliary device.

5. LeftyD

LeftyD

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Maybe a Leslie speaker cabinet?

6. Could be. Probably powers the motor?

7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    We had one of the 1960's Hammond B3's for many years and as I recall the Leslie (a 122 I think) and PR-40 cabs hooked up with thick multi-pin connector kind of cables. I think that's where they got their power, but it was a long time ago so I may be wrong.

8. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Post your question to organforum.com in the Hammond Organ forum. Many techs are regulars.

9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Thanks I will try and remember to do that!

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The label 120 volts 60 hertz 2 amps is AC power related. I've had organs with daisy chained speaker connectors. Some organs have a preamp out, some have a preamp in that allows you to run an instrument through the organ amp and speakers. Features depend on the organ.

But sure, an organ into a bass amp works well.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Sunset Shalom likes this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Back in the day, A buddy of mine did the wiring on my Hammond M3 so I could run the bass output to an amp(Ampeg model? head w/2 vertically mounted JBL D130s in a cab) and the treble/power to the Leslie horns, which I had removed from a Leslie Tallboy(6 foot tall, huge bass box with a twirling cloth covered contraption with little usable output for miking) mounted into a separate DIY black painted box for easier transport.

I set the horn box on top of the speaker box and the Ampeg head on its side on the floor. The box did not have a top on it to make room The twirling horns. Possibly a little Odd looking but very effective setup.

I also used the 2nd channel of the Ampeg for a Fender Rhodes. Nice sounding rig.

+1 to checking out the organ forum to find a wiring diagram for the Hammond multipin plug.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just to be clear, that is not an audio output.

Rip Van Dan, higain617 and Stumbo like this.
  13. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    my Hammonds had an output that went to the preamp pedal ... then to the Leslie ( powered spkr ) ..

not sure what outputs are on more Home models with built in amps/speakers ..??

can you find the Model # .. ?? have you Searched for that . ?

14. Robb Fesig

Robb Fesig

Mar 14, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    monsterthompson likes this.
  15. rodak

rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Post the model number here, or a picture. I can help identify it. If it's an M3, wiring a 1/4" output is easy. For a B3 or C3 it's a little more complex. I can get you diagrams for either.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses

Keith Emerson ran a Hammond into a marshall

17. rodak

rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    I think you're thinking of Jon Lord.

18. GVisc

GVisc

Apr 20, 2014
    New York
    I have a Hammond M100 that I connect to a guitar amp from a RCA cable jack that is on the side of the volume pedal box.

19. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Never put your organ into anything that even remotely looks like its meant for electricity

20. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    Leslie to Hammond connections are indeed more complex then just a 1/4 inch plug. They are often 6,9 or 11 pin cables that also supply the speaker amp power.

Grumry and Al Kraft like this.