1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original Coke vs. the 1000 variations. (and Coke vs. Pepsi)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Coke!

47 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. Pepsi!

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. I was reading the thread about varrying tastes of sodas and thought of this.

Is their any variation of coke (or another soda for that matter) that is better than the original to you?

also I put a good old Coke vs. Pepsi poll with this.

For me: Coke with lime is the only good variation. Its better than the original I think.

By the way.. Coke kicks Pepsi right out of the water. Not even close.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I kinda like the Coke with lime better than the original Coke, but I still like Coke more than Pepsi.

3. Have you actually had "original" Coke? What's on store shelves and in soda fountains as "Coca-Cola" is not the real thing. The real stuff is only available in Mexico and maybe a precious few places in the United States, where the syrup is made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup.

Cane sugar Coke has a deliciously clean flavor, rather than the bitter aftertaste of Coke with corn syrup. Sadly, the combination of grotesque subsidies to corn growers and the embargo with Cuba means that American sodas will use high-fructose corn syrup for the foreseeable future. :mad:

Can you imagine how awesome cane sugar Mountain Dew would be? Oh man.

4. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    My grandparents lived in Louisiana, and growing up there was nothing better than drinking "the real" ice cold coke from those little glass bottles on 100degree, 100% humidity days.

That having been said, I personally like Pepsi. Yes, I agree that it pretty much tastes like Coke that's been sitting out on the counter for 24hrs, but I just like the slightly flatter, sweeter taste...

5. Crappier, kinda "pooped on" type of

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sam's Club here in Waco (Can't vouch for everywhere else but probably the others too) sells cane sugar coca cola from mexico in glass bottles.

bc

7. Irn Bru all the way- brewed in Scotland, from girders! (Until recently, Scotland was one of the few countries where Coke is not the biggest selling soft drink, because of the magical orange stuff:))
    [​IMG]
    It really is that same orange colour.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's a weird lookin' cow. That forehead and brow...it's...it's like nothing I've ever seen.

bc

9. No matter what the variation, I seem to tire of it, and always go back to the original coke! NO Pepsi. (My wife used to work for Coke and there's no other brand in our house!) But that's fine with me.:D

10. British cattle are just as funny-lookin' as British people. :D :smug: ;)

11. The "original" coke had crack in it.

12. Yeah, but I don't think anyone living today would remember what truly original Coca-Cola tasted like, because the cocaine was pulled from it no later than 1915. When we refer to "original" or "classic" Coke, we're talking about what was sold between then and the formula change of 1984.

Tangential rant: The character of Sherlock Holmes recreationally used both morphine and cocaine, and readers didn't bat an eye. People had very different attitudes about narcotics 100 years ago. Cocaine wasn't outlawed until 1910 or so, IIRC following an incident in which a coked-up black man raped a white woman. As is often the case with drug laws in this country, the specter of the rampaging Negro (implicitly or explicitly said to have an insatiable lust for white women) was the reason for prohibition--as if the very real and well-known dangers it caused to the health of white users weren't sufficient cause for prohibition. :rolleyes:

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    That's a little misleading, although apparently it did contain very small amounts of cocaine. Can't remember where I heard this though, and I believe the amount was so small it didn't have any adverse or addictive affects.

14. I prefer Coke to Pepsi, but I recently moved from Sherbrooke Quebec and in the office I worked in Pepsi was the drink of choice by a far margine. The Coke machine was filled once every 3 weeks and the pepsi machine never lasted a full week.
    Actually I used to live in Montreal and most francophones prefered pepsi and most anglophones prefered coke.

15. Interesting how politics can play into the Coke/Pepsi debate. Coca-Cola opened a bottling plant in Tel Aviv in the '60s, causing an Arab League boycott of its products for 25 years. Pepsi, in a rather cowardly move, decided to stay out of the Israeli market and instead became the soft drink of choice throughout the Muslim Middle East. I would imagine that there might have been a similar situation in Quebec, vis-a-vis the rest of Canada, during the independence movement in the '70s and '80s.

16. Coke seems to be dominate. Yessssssss.

17. i voted pepsi, but we all know the true winner for great cola taste

[​IMG]

18. The only way to get Coke that tastes good around here is if it comes from a fountain. All of the bottled stuff tastes like malted battery acid.

Pepsi all the way. But Mountain Dew tops them all.

Rock on
    Eric

19. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I tried cane cola (Boyd's, to be exact) a couple of months ago. The cleanliness of the cola is amazing. It wasn't as harsh as other colas, either.

As-far-as the poll goes, I prefer Pepsi.

Coke is supposed to release Coke Black (I believe that is the name) in the near future. It combines regular coke with coffee. Sounds very interesting.

20. coffee and coke? yikes.

it'll probably go over like the whole caffinated beer (which didn't go over very well)

i still like to try new sodas, even if they are good or not