1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original Hardware for 54 Kay M-1

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ElMon, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Does anyone know a good sourse for original parts for old Kay uprights? I need to get ahold of the tuning machine piece that actually cranks the tuning machine, or in other words, the wheel with the notches on it that sits on the side of the tuning machine. Thoughts?

2. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
  3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thank ya kindly.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Also, bump for anyone who knows about any stockpiles of Vintage Kay parts. Maybe if we excavated Tom Bowlus' basement we might find ancient tuning machine parts scattered in the Earth like a bunch of prehistoric arrowheads.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL!

I had one of the tuning pegs on my 40's era Kay replaced by The Loft Violin Shop in Columbus, Ohio, and you cannot tell a difference. I think it was actually a vintage replacement.

Phil Maneri (Uncletoad here on TB, www.fretshop.com) might also have some connections, as he is both an upright player and an excellent restorer of vintage instruments.

Tom.

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I knew that that would make ya bite Tom. And I do appreciate you lendin those connections to me for a bit.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    No prob! I do a search of my name every so often, because otherwise, I tend to get left behind (I know, I am turning into a TalkBass slacker... :rollno:).

Best of luck!

Tom.