Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Original jazz pickups - "fix"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by uglycicles, Nov 1, 2004.

1. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I have a 76 Fender Jazz bass that I bought a couple of years ago. It came with some shoddy aftermarket pickups on it, but included in the sale were the original 76 pickups.

When I bought the bass, I pulled the aftermarket and put some Barts in it. Now my question....

I'm yearning to put the original pickups back in this puppy to get that vintage vibe. They are, however, pretty beat up, and I've been told from a couple of techs that I should consider getting them re-wound.

Not that I'm a collector or a purist about these things, (this bass gets played. A lot.) but what would this do to future resale value?

Would it make more sense to keep the originals in storage as they are and drop in a set of more vintage-y sounding pickups for now? Or would you do the re-wind?

Thanks!

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Good question. My question to you is do the original pickups still work? If they don't currently work then you might as well have them rewound because you can't hurt the resale value. If they do work, then a rewind will reduce their value.

If you decide to go for the vintage replacements, I'm particularly fond of Lindy Fralin.

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I would also use Fralin for the rewind job :)

4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Thanks for the opinions, guys - much appreciated. I think I'll keep the originals stored away and go with the replacements for now...

now....the Fralins or the Nordstrands....hmmm... :p

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I can't speak to the Fralins, but I am more than pleased with my Nordstrand NJ4s. See "Smash's Summer Showdown" on this forum for a review. I thought his review was right on the money. Carey Nordstrand (www.nordstrandguitars.com) is nice guy and was most helpful as was Brian at www.bestbassgear.com.

6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Send them to Lindy Fralin for a rewind..his pickups rule!

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I personally would give the Nord NJ4's a shot and I'd leave the Fenders as they are. People are paying some steep dinero on Fender vintage pups UNTOUCHED - working or not (and they'll only going to up). A rewind from Jesus would diminish the value as a potential buyer may want them Buddhawound.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I personally would give the Nord NJ4's a shot and I'd leave the Fenders as they are. People are paying some steep dinero on Fender vintage pups UNTOUCHED - working or not (and they'll only go up). A rewind from Jesus would diminish the value as a potential buyer may want them Buddhawound and they don't want them jacked with.